Physical Therapy question (Read 521 times)

I'm doing my round of PT now for ITBS and am only 3 days into but I have two questions - Doc told me not to run for "a couple weeks" but therapist has had me on TM twice to see when I get the pain. Is this ok? I havent told him doc took me off the running b/c I figured getting on the TM will be part of therapy. Right? Also, since my log is getting pretty pathetic lately, I have been logging the mile (s) I do at therapy? All miles run count, correct?
      I went through a few different doctors and two sets of PT with two different insurance plans for my ITBS, and aside from indicating that it might be a muscle imbalance, they were not successful in treating me. I only started seeing improvement (14 months later) after introducing hamstring strengthening exercises 3 times a week. This was never offered as a possibility to me by anyone. I read recently that ITBS is more of a symptom than a specific ailment. Many things can cause the knee pain (leg muscle imbalance - there are many to chose from, pronation, leg length differences, weak hip muscles, etc.) but there is much less information on diagnosing which of the possibilities is occurring. If I go through this again, I would insist on a bunch of muscle tests etc. to determine the problem before going through the PT's gamut of default exercises.

ScriptCal

Yeah i totally agree. Thankfully my PT has already picked up on the fact that i have very tight hips and weak ankles. as well as some weakness in my hip muscles. i think he keeps putting me on the TM to see if taping my knee cap/or stretching my hips better before hand works. so far, he hasnt exactly pinpointed a way to relieve my problem so we are still working on it. i think its def a problem with my weak hips. i always thought i stretched enough, but i am realizing now that maybe i just need to increase my flexibility more i am going to be looking into yoga and i have been trying to stretch out and loosen the hips constantly at work throughout the day. i am more dominant on my right leg (my left leg is the affected one) so i have to be more conscious of how i sit so that the left side gets equally used/loosened.

Beer Drinker

i guess it depends on the injury and its severity/history. i was in PT in march and april for itbs and glut/hip issues resulting from falling on some ice in january. i ran runs of 18/20/22 and 24 on mtn trails during therapy (after about 5 visits).
          Start off easy, then slow down.
            In this case, I'm guessing the tm is part of the diagnosis so PT can tell what the cause of the ITBS is. Too many people just try to make the symptoms go away. But to be on safe side, you might want to mention to the PT that your doc said "no running". But if your doc and PT are the like mine, the PT knows a lot more about the biomechanical issues of running than does my doc, even though my doc used to run.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog