8 miles and knee issue (Read 137 times)

dirtroadrunner

So I made it 8 miles today without gels! Burn fat burn Big grin (I hope) and my knee starting acting up last week. Thought it was from change in weather like usual but it has persisted. Now I'm wondering if its ITBS or whatever? The muscle on top is pretty sore andy knee has been popping (meniscus?) I tried a foam roller but all I had was a small pool noodle. It helped some but is really not the right size. And I so earned/enjoyed my post run chocolate milk!

an amazing likeness

ITBS will be significant, incapacitating, pain on the outside of your knee, especially in the area where that bump is at the outside top of your lower leg. From your desciption, you don't have an ITBS-specific issue.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

dirtroadrunner

ITBS will be significant, incapacitating, pain on the outside of your knee, especially in the area where that bump is at the outside top of your lower leg. From your desciption, you don't have an ITBS-specific issue.

Awesome!! It's not incapacitating but has hurt/ached for the last week. I know I have some issues that a knee scope should fix but I'm not ready for that yet.

pedaling fool

Sounds like exactly what I've been going through after running hills. I really hate the thought of it, but I'm just going to lay off running for a few days and concentrate on weights in the gym, and of course my trusty bike...

Chris T

Ice the area regularly for 15-20 minutes. Works wonders.

cmb4314

So I made it 8 miles today without gels! Burn fat burn Big grin (I hope) and my knee starting acting up last week. Thought it was from change in weather like usual but it has persisted. Now I'm wondering if its ITBS or whatever? The muscle on top is pretty sore andy knee has been popping (meniscus?) I tried a foam roller but all I had was a small pool noodle. It helped some but is really not the right size. And I so earned/enjoyed my post run chocolate milk!

Doesn't sound like ITBS based on location, but it sounds to me like it could be runner's knee.

Also, a real foam roller is like, a million times more rigid than a pool noodle.  You might see some benefit from using a proper foam roller, since it will massage the muscle a lot harder.

And like Chris T said, ice is your friend.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Hip Redux

One of my IT-related issues is popping.  Because my knee cap is out of alignment (because of a tight IT band), it rubs all sorts of the wrong way.

But either way - Ice, stretch, rest, foam roller.

some call me Tim

With regard to the foam roller, you don't really need to use foam. And you don't need to roll so much. Aaand you really shouldn't do intense work on sore muscles, but - for a long time I got by with my wife's rolling pin... or pressing a golf ball into some areas with my hands. Use what you've got. The point is to find a muscle 'knot' and apply some pressure until you feel change, maybe move around a bit. Do this to the areas *around* the problem spot, not directly on it.  It's gonna be uncomfortable, but try not to hurt yourself. Oh, and I am by no means a medical professional, just an enthusiast. Smile

Last week I developed occasional sharp pains on the top of my foot. They didn't seem to be related to any specific movement or triggered by pressure in a certain spot, so I went to work with the golf ball. 15 minutes of 'unsticking' work later and the problem had disappeared completely. It's been days now. I've run maybe 20 miles. It's gone. I don't want to make it like I confuse correlation with causation or imply that this is a blanket fix for anyone's problems, however I do plan to stick with what works.

dirtroadrunner

Thank you for all the tips! I was only using the pool noodle because I was desperate Wink  I see a proper foam roller in my future. I did rest it, and then when I ran I paid more attention on switching up on what side of the road I was on. I noticed I run a lot on the right side and its my right knee. It is better now, I can sleep at night and go about my day without noticing it.  Much better!

Slo

This is only an opinion but based on your training log I think your knee hurts because it simply isn't conditioned to running. I'd say you are not running enough to get beyond the little aches and pains. At your current mileage anything greater than a 6 or 7 mile run is probably always going to hurt.

I could be completely wrong.  I just see so many runners automatically jump to INJURY at the first tweak they experience.

Beyond that...Ice is your best friend. Running is going to induce inflammation. Inflammation will put stresses on your ligaments, tendons and other connective tissues and cause more inflammation. Ice will relieve that.

No, I don't think it's ITBS either.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

+1 to Slo_Hand.

It is concerning that this particular run was 1/4 of your mileage for the entire month of February.  That's sure to result in some little aches and pains that aren't necessarily anything serious.  I've been running for about 18 years now and still get weird pains, even sharp pains, but at the first sign of them, it's not time to panic.  Not that I recommend running through legitimate injury, but you know what I mean.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54