Hands Swollen Like Balloons at the end of Half (Read 787 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

I had the weirdest thing during my half marathon on Sunday. My hands swelled up during the race like balloons. It was really noticable by about mile 7. My fingers looked like sausages. I normally do swell up a little, but nothing this dramatic before. After the race, it took a couple of hours for them to get back to normal. I felt fine, no tingling, or other symptoms. At the start, the temps were about 45, 55 at the finish, so not too warm or cold either way. Any ideas as to how to keep it from happening again? Thanks! Robin

Robin

My legs are killing me

It could be nothing but to be on the safe side I'd see a doctor if I were you.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go to the doc. ASAP.

My dogs are fast, not me

Will do.

Robin

My hands were swollen after a recent long run on a hot, sunny day. I could barely get my wedding ring off. It also happens to me sometimes after drinking beer and eating salty foods, not sure if that's related or not! Big grin There's a discussion page about it over on UltRunR, some of it might apply. If Trent says you should see a doc I'd listen to him though.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Could be heat, etc, but it is still March and loads of other things can cause this. See the doc. Smile

My dogs are fast, not me

Could be heat, etc, but it is still March and loads of other things can cause this. See the doc. Smile
                I've got an appt tomorrow afternoon.

Robin

My legs are killing me

Good move! Good luck.
                    that's weird. the same thing happened to me at my last marathon in Feb. They were hugely swollen for hours. I've never ever had that happen. And it was really cold and wet...I would have thought they'd have been shrivled from the cold and rain. The night before we had some crab cakes...actually I only had half of one and my friend had the rest. The next morning she said her face was swollen and thought it was something in the crab cakes. I didn't notice any swelling at the time but post race, my hands were uncomfortably swollen...I just thought maybe it was the crab cakes too. Confused

Jennifer mm#1231

Think Whirled Peas

I've got an appt tomorrow afternoon.
                      What's the word?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

My dogs are fast, not me

Nothing conclusive as yet. Bunch of tests run. Will keep you posted.

Robin