Stair Entry (Read 75 times)

Bob Bob and Bob

I was hoping to keep track of the number of flights of stairs I complete on any given day (and week).

I have made a new "Stairs" activity entry.

It it would be great to have "flights" as an available unit.  Then one could tally flights of stairs per week like kms per week.

Perhaps there already exists a way to do this.  (I don't seem to have a search option on the mobile site.)

Thanks.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Would not flights be a variable unit depending on the building? I don't see how that can be a standard unit of measure like miles. For stairs it seems like time might be the best unit, or perhaps elevation change if you had some way of knowing that.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Bob Bob and Bob

"Would not flights be a variable unit depending on the building? I don't see how that can be a standard unit of measure like miles. For stairs it seems like time might be the best unit, or perhaps elevation change if you had some way of knowing that."

Absolutely it would be a variable unit.  I would question why it needs to be a "standard" unit of measure.  (Or rather, is this a question of precision and accuracy of a measurement?)  Are ratings of 'effort' and 'quality' standard?

I tend to climb stairs at work and only at work.  Same building every weekday.  I would suspect that most of us would not actively seek out different buildings for a variety of "stair routes" like one might for a run.  Chances are we would be climbing the same set of stairs over and over again.

The fact that my flight would differ from yours would be of little consequence.  The physical activity is a meaningful one that one might like to capture in an exercise log.

Is the mile I run on my treadmill *exactly* the same length as the one at the gym or on the road?  Is a mile in hilly terrain the same as a flat course?

If our training plans included squats, would our reps all be standard?  Or is it more likely that some of us would do shallow knee bends, some might drop thighs parallel to the floor and others might do deep squats.  I would argue that the unit of measure (ie. 'reps') would be a valid one despite each repetition being variable.  Is my squat identical to yours?  Nope.  Does it matter?

Same goes for flights.

(And as for timing the stairs, I tend not to race up the stairs.  I use it as an opportunity to strengthen foot/leg musculature.  It would be nice to tally total number of flights at the end of the week.  Perhaps, my knees start to ache after 50 weekly flights.  Or perhaps I wish to ramp up to 100 flights and want to do so gradually.)

I dunno.  My two cents, anyway.

rmcj001

The fitbit counts steps and "floors" (an a few other things).  A floor is 10' of continuous up.  So, hills, stairs, ladders all can count as floors.  Like steps it's an estimate, but from day to day it seems relatively consistent.  My regular running route I typically get between 30-34 floors. It would be nice if there were a way to import the fitbit stuff into the running log....

Ray