Running virgin seeks guidance :) (Read 2618 times)

r_palma

I am new here on this forum and new in running. Allways liked sports of any kind but never liked running. Seemed boring (what to say?). I have 37 years, 1,83 m and 83 kilograms and suddenly running came into my life and i can't explane how i began to like it. Started slowly without any plan, only to sweat and feel good, 2,5 months ago. I enjoyed runs on my vacation very much (running near the sea) and there i made a plan. To run 5k in less then 30 min. Succeeded  that agenda soon after 3 weeks but with few walks and in 32 minutes.(only running in that time) I wasn't happy because wanted indurance to last full 5k in one take and in less than 30 min. I ran every other day due to fatigue and was affraid not to hate running again. Now 2,5 months after my beginning  i can run all 5k in one take and yesterday it took me 31:51 .

Do you have any suggestions or any program how to be below 30 min? And what do you say, should i try faster or should i try more distance?

Maybe in the end i need new goal? Thanks for replys and excuse my bad english(I am from Croatia)

first off, congratulations on running the whole 5k & that is actually a good time for first one!

as for what you need to do to do a 5k in 30 mns?   lots of advice, opinions, & plans but I like to keep it simple & enjoyable.  so here it is:  keep doing what you are doing, keep the consistency & just very slowly add to your running.  more specifically just start very slowly adding duration to one of your weekly runs, maybe add 5-10 minutes each week.  take another weekly run & run the middle 10 minutes at a faster pace (keep beginning & end at your normal slower pace).  for now just do those 2 things & slowly build on duration, consistency, & stretching out the 10 minutes of faster pace in that 2nd weekly run. 

the above 2 suggestions of course are based on not knowing anything about you or your general running.

by the way, your English is very good, no need to apologize.

r_palma

So let's see if i understood.... i have to add more minutes at same pace,each week, to build indurance? Also once a week, in my race make middle part faster? Should i measure distance at all while  i'm building up minutes?

A Saucy Wench

Run Just run.

For now I would not worry about pace at all.

Run. 

Run longer sometimes

Run shorter sometimes

Run SLOWER most of the time

Run faster occasionally.

When in doubt favor slower and longer over shorter and faster.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

just as Ennay said

ksquishy

I agree.  For now, just run and get yourself used to the idea of it.  Sooner or later it will start to feel more natural, you will "get into the swing of it." Congratulations on beginning to run! Big grin

ksquishy

Luvtorun49

Hi...You are not alone here...I started running 2 months ago and ran my 2 5ks so far...The first one took me 34 minutes but a month later I finish in 31 minutes...I am 49 year old woman and I am Loving this but like you would Love to get my time down.   All of the advice given to you sounds great and I obviously am not one to give any with my experience but just wanted to give support  Smile  The best advice haven bee given is to just "Keep Running"  enjoy yourself. don't take yourself too seriously and most of all and this is hard...Dont be too concerned about your time as I hear the more we keep running the time will eventually get better....Nothing comes easy so they say...Best Of Luck & Enjoy!!

uncontrollable

Excellent job so far.  Don't fixate on pace - it will come with time ... I agree with: add a little time and once a week go a little bit faster for the middle of your run - you will have to experiment with that because you don't want to go too fast but you want to be challenged *no magic number it is individual & may change week to week in the beginning (next 4-8 weeks).  Never push pace or time if you are having any pain or just not feeling like it's a good run ... listening to your body closely, ESPECIALLY as a new runner (running less than a year) prevents injury.

Gains are incremental but they will come.  One thing about this sport ... it requires patience!  If you are patient and consistent you will be pleasantly surprised with yourself as the months roll on!  Just keep at it!

peace

an amazing likeness

I think you should drop the concepts of speed and distance from your approach and replace all that complexity with time. Aim to run a certain amount of time each day -- and ignore all the rest.  On days you feel good, run more and faster. On days when you may be lagging a bit, run slower and even walk some.

Build your base.

Get out more, and for more and more time.

Speed and endurance will come from there.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Wing

Joggaholic

I was a beginner like you just 5 months ago with very similar 5k time when I started lurking on RA. I can tell you that the advice you get from these experts here absolutely works! 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I would just add that consistency is something most beginners lack.  Set aside a regular time that is your running time, and do it.  Make it clear to yourself and others that that's what you do at those times.  You'll get so you don't feel right unless you've had your run-o-the-day.

Treadmill Addict

Run Just run.

Run. 

Run longer sometimes

Run shorter sometimes

Run faster occasionally.

+1

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Run Just run.

Run. 

Run longer sometimes

Run shorter sometimes

Run faster occasionally.

+1 be afraid of/live in fear of the newbie TMTS disease it gets everyone - TMTS = To Much To Soon. In your exuberance, resist doing to much fast running it will catch up with you and cause injury. Been there, done that.

bob e v
                            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.