How to race a 5M or 10K? (Read 147 times)

GinnyinPA

I've done a couple of 5ks, but never anything longer.  I ran those 5ks all out, so I was puffing and panting pretty much all the way and ended them feeling completely spent.  Now I'd like to do some longer races, but think that going "all out", at least at the beginning, is likely to backfire.  So, any suggestions on how a 5M or 10k should feel?   I don't use a gps watch or HR monitor, I just run by feel.

mikeymike

Slightly less intense for the first few miles. You're welcome.

Seriously this isn't one of those things you can really explain on the internet--for one thing 5k pace itself probably feels different to everyone so trying to explain the difference between that and 5 mi or 10k pace is tough. Obviously you need to go out a little slower. I usually focus on my breathing, and try to learn how long I can run at certain intensities. It takes some practice--I still screw it up probably 50% of the time.

Runners run

I think an important thing to do with any distance is have certain marks or "laps" you want to reach at certain times. Example :  When I run my 5k's in training, I run 1.55 miles to the 1/2 mark and run 1.55 home.  I take a split time of the 1/2 mark to see how my return trip time compares with my starting time.  Since my return trip is almost all uphill, I always try to make sure my return time is better than my first segment.  It doesnt always work, but gives you an idea of where and IF you need to turn the speed on.  Since I have to run home uphill, i always try to save a little bit of energy.  BUT my fastest time on a 5k, i basically went all out with a 10min flat 1/2 point  and when i came back it was almost 50 seconds longer because I was burned from the all out effort of the first segment.  Sounds confusing probably becuase I might not be explaining it clear, but I think you get the point overall.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

TJoseph

It seems to me that as long has you have been training enough for the distance, you are going to be able to finish a 5 or 10K race even if you screw up the pacing and you will learn something for the next time you race that distance.

I don't race a lot (in fact just ran only 4-5 races in the last 2 years) but to me a 5 miler or a 10K will feel just like a 5K only longer.  If I am not huffing and puffing by mile 1 at any race shorter than a Half marathon or maybe a 10 mile race, I am not running hard enough.

Docket_Rocket

I really don't see much of a difference between the 5 miler and the 10K but the effort in the 5 miler felt a bit harder.

Like some said, it is hard to explain.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

IIRC the latest according to RW editor Amby Burfoot is that you should just natually know what pace to run if you leave all the watches, timers, GPS devices, HR monitors, etc at home and run by feel.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GinnyinPA

Not worried about finishing, just about running well without burning out after 3 miles.  I've read some good descriptions of how a HM should feel, and hoped for something similar.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Not worried about finishing, just about running well without burning out after 3 miles.  I've read some good descriptions of how a HM should feel, and hoped for something similar.

It should feel like a good tempo run for 4 miles, then it gets hard.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

fittestover40

GinnyinPA-   When you say you go all out from the start, that's makes for a painful race.  Do you have any idea what your splits are at 1&2 miles marks?  If you have a large drop off at the 2nd mile than your obviously going out to hard, and than your probably still falling off the pace more on the 3rd.  For a 5-10K you definitely need to go out slower otherwise you will be feeling that pain for the whole way.  If you let me know your 5K time and know your mile splits I would be happy to tell you what pace to shoot for and what pace to go out for the 1st mile.

GinnyinPA

I don't have a racing watch or Garmin, I just end up knowing my overall time.  In the two 5ks I did, (last one was 15 months ago, I was off for 8 months with a pelvic sfx) I ran a pretty even effort.  Today, I definitely started too fast.  I got caught up in the rush, and the first mile was gently rolling, which encouraged speed, especially on the flat and downhill parts.  Second mile was a long downhill.  I went really fast. Third mile was a long hard uphill.  I ended up walking part of it.  Fourth went gently down, and fifth mile went steeply back up again.  Again, I walked part of it.  I never did get an even pace.  Starting too fast meant I couldn't handle the hills when they came.  I did less overall climbing in the race (abt 420') than I do on my usual long runs, but felt it a lot more, because I was simply trying to go too fast.  The only split I know from today's race was the first mile:  8:56.  My average for the whole race was 9:35.  But given the hills, there is no way I would have done even splits in any case.

fittestover40

Hey GinnyinPA-  Not knowing the course and how much the hills may have effected a steady pace it sounds like you didn't do to bad.  Had you not walked some your pace probably would have been 9:25 which makes your 1st mile a little fast but not to bad.  The 2nd mile with the downhill going hard probably used up a lot of energy to.  A long downhill without proper running technique can take a lot of extra energy.  My estimation based on what you told me would be about a 9:10 for the 1st mile would yield you a little better results.  Get in some hill work to build some strength and you'll handle that kind of race better next time.

It really takes a little while to figure out racing, you might be a strength runner or a speed runner.  Your definitely trying to be a speed type runner which is fine you just have to find the right pace to go out so you don't blow up.   Congrats on completing the longer race!    Smile

Dream Maker

I really don't see much of a difference between the 5 miler and the 10K but the effort in the 5 miler felt a bit harder.

Like some said, it is hard to explain.

I, however, feel two different strategies are warranted.  In the 5 mile, start running and stop when you get to 5 miles.

In the 10K, that strategy is not advised.

Congrats on your race!!!

For me, 10K hurts but not like a 5K. I figure if I don't feel like I can't do it at half way, I'm not racing (I usually end up even splits that way)--- but 10K that giives me until 3 miles before I am scared and 5K it happens sooner.  I'm not good at racing though (I never feel as dead as some here talk about even though I don't think I can go faster so I wonder if this is just me being different or if I'm incapable of mentally pushing that hard), so ymmv.