2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

DoppleBock

spinach - Sorry to hear.  I sure hope you are back in the saddle for Ice Breaker.

I continue to struggle with injury and I am retrying to start running again today.  Basically I have been hurt since 12/21 or 3 weeks.  Every time I try and run somewhere @ 3 miles I start to develop pain and I stop between 5-7 miles.

4 weeks out this is not how I pictured my training.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Dopple Bock and Spinach:

Get better soon!

Injuries suck.

John

The King of Beasts

Dopple Bock and Spinach:

Get better soon!

Injuries suck.

John

+a bunch

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

kcam

Yep, shake it off guys.  Don't lose sight of one of the cardinal rules of Sub-3 Club:  Avoid setbacks at all costs.
          Aaron Heath

aaronuni great race!! Looks like you ran a great PR!! 3:02:XX

I had some friends run it and they were freezing for the early morning start.

Thanks ChakaKahn!

Yes, I did have a great race, but came up short on my sub 3 attempt. My official time was 3:02:49. Alomost a 9 minute PR. It was cold, around 20F at the start. I live in NY, so the cold didn't bother me too much. I just need to get a little stronger. I tried to keep my pace between 6:40 and 6:50 as much as I could, but there were times towards the end that I was running over 7 minute pace. I will try again at Boston in April, and will continue to work on my endurance between now and then.

Cheers!

Aaron

DoppleBock

Yep, shake it off guys.  Don't lose sight of one of the cardinal rules of Sub-3 Club:  Avoid setbacks at all costs.

THanks - This was going to be a goal marathon, but that is out the door now.  It will just be a nice visit with my dear Sister (San Diego) and a nice long run on Sunday up in Huntington Beach. 

My goal race is in the middle of May and I plan on training through Surf City Marathon - Maybe 2-3 day taper.

I did break one of my cardinal rules to get injured - Only 1 new stressor at a time - I was going for a huge month - uncharted territory for miles.  I was doing 2 nice speed work out per week - 1 @ 5k-5 mile pace and one 10 mile to 1/2 marathon pace.  Then I decided, I needed to get in touch with mile race pace speed (Idiot).  I was in the middle of 2 x (5x2 minutes on / off) @ 5:05-5:10 when sproing! 

Basically I beat this big horse down for 4 weeks and then I made run near all out

Now because of my stupidity, I am not shooting for a marathon PR and likely have until mid-march just to regain the shape that I had on December 21st.

Tonight I hope to do my 1st 10 mile or further run in a long time.

It could be a lot worse and it helped me to put things in perspective ... Once again I feel it a priviledge to be able to run and have to smile when I can run.

Dopple - you will be better self coached after this experience.  Hope you heal quickly.

aaronuni - I saw your time and was waiting for you to post.  Congrats on that 9 min pr.  That's a huge chunk of time to take off.  I ran Disney in '08 thinking I was in 3:05 or so shape and ended up with 3:13.   Cold waiting for the start and then it got hot and humid.    I really think Disney is not a pr course as it is boring and lonely in many places.   That makes your time all the more outstanding.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Aaron Heath

Thanks ksrunr!

I agree with you about the course being boring at times. It was fun to run through the parks, but did spend most of the time in the parking lots, and the roads. At least now I know that I can run a sub 3; it will just take a bit more effort, and patience.

DoppleBock

Thanks ksrunr!

I agree with you about the course being boring at times. It was fun to run through the parks, but did spend most of the time in the parking lots, and the roads. At least now I know that I can run a sub 3; it will just take a bit more effort, and patience.

To me that is half the battle - It allows you to train smarter and race a smarter race -

Great PR - You will be there soon.

DoppleBock

Dopple - you will be better self coached after this experience.  Hope you heal quickly.

Thanks - I have moved on from sharp pain - can't run mode (1)  I am now in the old pain mode(2) - Still light to moderate pain, but not as sharp.  I have started ramping up the slow miles (No speed for awhile - maybe until the marathon Feb 7).  Next stage(3) is fantom pain and uncertainty how hard I can push it.  Then its(4):  No pain, but must regain confidence to redline.

I know I can run miles during the last 3 statges, but I must be patient and remember: "When it comes to injuries - Speed Kills!" - Only slow running and slow hill running.

altmizzle

Yikes, hope you guys can shake the injuries!

"If within us, we find nothing above us, we succumb to whatever is around us."

spinach

I was able to run yesterday.  There was no pain in my knee although my knee still didn't feel right.  I am not quite sure how to explain the problem but it just didn't feel right.  But there was no pain and so I think I will run the Instep Icebreaker Marathon on Sunday.  However I am quite certain I will not break three in it.  It will just be a nice long easy run.   

My goal race for this spring is the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon in May where I will make my sub three attempt (actually my goal is 2:55 to qualify as an over 50 elite in the Twin Cities Marathon).  Sunday will just be an easy run and since we will be running around in circles, if I have to drop out then it will be easy since I would not be so far from the finish that I would have to figure out how to get back there. 

Looks like I'm out of commission as well.  I've been dealing with an Achilles tendon issue since October.  During the fall marathon training, it was annoying, but didn't affect my running at all.  Since I've started training again this year, it seems to have gotten worse.  It takes more time on the run for the soreness to go away, and it is very sensitive and sometimes painful when I walk around the house (especially barefoot).

I was still able to get my workouts in, but it was evident I couldn't do my full training I did in the fall.  I've been trying to get ready for a 50k in March.  After Sunday's run (15 miles with last 4-5 near marathon pace), I was feeling good, but when my wife touched my Achilles I nearly jumped out of my seat.  I decided then that I needed to stop and let it heal.  I'm taking a minimum two weeks off and possibly longer.  After that, I'm just going to slowly build my mileage with little or no track or tempo work.  Racing the 50k is out, but if I feel ok I might just do it as a long training run.  We'll see.

As for the sub 2:40 marathon in the fall, that's still a long way off.  If I heal well, I can still see me going for it, but healing is the most important thing right now.  I don't want to run a sub 2:40 and then never able to run again because of a torn tendon.

DoppleBock

Spinach - be smart and enjoy

bpurcell - I am sorry that you have joined the inury ranks

I continue to have sharp pain that is there some days and then not as bad on others.  I have restarted running and I am running as much as I can, but quit any run that pain gets above a 5 out of 10.  No speed workouts.  I am hoping to be pain free by Feb 7th -

Right on Hereford...

Looks like I'm out of commission as well.  I've been dealing with an Achilles tendon issue since October.

Sorry to hear that! Are you doing eccentric calf lowers? I was having achilles problems just a few weeks before the Chicago Marathon, and those exercises saved my race.