Why should I race? (Read 284 times)

some call me Tim

This isn't a direct answer, but you've had plenty of those.

One of my favorite races to date totally took me by surprise. In the middle of marathon training this year it was suggested that I use a 6 hour timed race as a supported long run on a traffic free bike path. I figured it was cheap, all of my friends were doing it and I could stop whenever I wanted so what the hell. I got a good chunk of the race camaraderie with little expectation to go with it, ran with a bunch of different people, and liked it so much I ended up going a lot farther than I planned.

The marathon was allright. It was hard, and the training was hard, but there are things I liked and I'll probably do it again. But the 6 hour race? That one's going on my calendar FOREVER.

It'll cost you 25 bucks and 30 minutes or less of your life to see if you like it. But, fwiw, you can both train for recreational races and find peace, thought and enjoyment in everyday running at the same time.

+1

Only you can answer the question you asked, and it will take just a few minutes of your time to figure it out. Go see -- and be sure to let us know how it turns out!

JimR

I like golf

memememe76

Whenever I travel anywhere (for business, family, leisure, etc), I will always check if there is a race that I can insert into my itinerary. The race provides me with a route that is safe, supported, and usually scenic. And I get a shirt. There is quite a good chance that I won't PR--not being able to adjust to the different climate, time zone, scheduling conflicts with my other commitments, etc. can prevent me from running my best race. But I still do it. You also get to meet some neat people--it's one of the easier ways of getting to know the "locals".

#artbydmcbride

I like golf

Seriously?  What a waste of a good XC course!

Runners run