My First set of Intervals (Read 187 times)

Speaking from experience, I would not recommend running on a sore shin.

Take a day off let it rest and quit hurting or I guarantee you will be taking a day off, because it will hurt like heck just to walk.

If you are wanting to do intervals I would suggest getting a gps watch like a garmin and gradually working your pace up.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

And this.  If you're suffering from leg soreness, the worst thing you can do is to bite the bullet and continue with your bogus training plan and do long run (2 days in a row???) and go on with a tempo run.  You should do the workout that you CAN do; and IF you overdid it, jog nice and easily till your body becomes ready.  Following the schedule blindly "just because" is the worst thing ou can do.

some call me Tim

If it makes you feel any better, I am laughing over here. I mean seriously, get better before you push again, but yeah I have made mistakes like that. Fwiw I have no access to a track or even asphalt most of the time when I can train. So I adapted my speedwork to two kinds of workouts: I do 90 second intervals as fast as I can maintain composure with full recoveries in between, and I do 5 minute intervals at a pace that's just a bit uncomfortable with 1-2 minute recoveries in between, depending upon how the workout is going. This is all 'adapted' from the Daniels plan I'm following and I've been gratified to find, when looking back through Garmin data, that I more or less tend to hit the proper paces I'm supposed to be hitting based on my race-determined VDOT. Well, at least I do when my training ground hasn't turned into a half frozen swamp. I can't say how it will go for you, but I feel I've done myself a great service by spending some time running paces by how I feel and then going back and associating it with numbers after the fact. I don't know if my training could be more efficient, but my race performances have steadily improved.

Not dead. Yet.

continue with your bogus training plan

Go easy on the guy, Nobby.  He's just trying to learn how to do this like a lot of us here.  Part of learning is making mistakes.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

To the OP, Maybe you have gained a lot of fitness since you ran those races.  But looks like you are running most of your runs on an indoor course and racing all your workouts, which is a distinct possibility if there are other runners around you and you are a bit competitive.

Running harder than necessary so far away from a goal race (marathon goal in fall) is not really helpful and can be counter productive if it leads to soreness/injury causing you to skip other workouts.

Nothing wrong with an occasional race or an interval session, but is not really needed while you  are building up your strength through running more miles.  Speed is likely not your issue right now and you'll get faster naturally as you get fitter.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Go easy on the guy, Nobby.  He's just trying to learn how to do this like a lot of us here.  Part of learning is making mistakes.

I don't think Nobby means to be harsh, he's just passionate about running and training.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

ckerr1999

Those race times were a very long time ago. Haven't done any races since November. The 10K I didn last September was after only 5 weeks of running. I have signed up for a half marathon on May 5 this year. Based on my current ability, I ran 5 miles in the last two weeks at 39:13, and did a 5k at 24:25. Significant improvements over those races last November. Now those are races paces. If I were to do an easy run today, my 5 miles would be around 44 to 45 minutes, and my 5k would be around 26-27 min. Not sure where I am in terms of 10k. Last time I looked an easy 10k was about 56 min for me. So thinking my 10k race pace is around 52 min at the moment. In terms of my HM on May 5, I am targeting less then 2 hours. Yes, I know my long runs on the weekend need to be longer.

So according to the McMillian Calculator my 400m should be between 1:39-1:45. So I was a little too fast at 1:29???? Should I specifically target 1:45+?

As others have said: go by current fitness, not goal pace. If you don't know your current fitness that can be a challenge but try to use an honest estimate.

As for the part I quoted above, if you are targeting a 1:45 for 400m, then 1:29 is not a little to fast, it's WAY, WAY, WAY too fast. That's the difference of a minute per mile.  All of your intervals should be within a couple/few seconds of each other. And, ideally, if there is any drift then they should get faster as you get further into the workout, no slower. Start the workout easier than you think you need to and then ratchet up the effort as you get into it. You're splits indicated you were absolutely cratering. You went from running 6:04 pace in the 2nd interval to 7:04 pace by the end. You were in survival mode and doing a ton of damage that you then felt the next run and beyond.

A couple of rules of thumb that have kept me injury free and running some decent times for a 40+ year old hobbyjogger for a decade now:

1. You are always better off doing a workout that's too easy, than too hard. It's the totality of your training that matters, not any one workout. Any workout that causes you to skip or shorten subsequent workouts is counter productive.

2. It's not how big a workout you can DO that matters, it's how big a workout you can RECOVER from. The workout is just to create a recovery period. Start thinking about your recovery from the workout WHILE you're doing the workout. Plan for it. You'd be amazed how often this simple rule forces me to skip the last interval or last hill of a workout with no regrets whatsoever. When you've gotten all the training stimulus you can get out of a workout, all you can do is bludgeon yourself needlessly.

Runners run

npaden

It sounds like you are running your workouts too hard.  Not just the interval set, but all of them.

My 5K PR is 22:39 from back in October, that's a 7:16 per mile pace.  My current easy pace is somewhere around 9:45 - 10:15 per mile.

30 to 45 seconds per mile slower than your 5K race pace is not an easy pace.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

1. You are always better off doing a workout that's too easy, than too hard. It's the totality of your training that matters, not any one workout. Any workout that causes you to skip or shorten subsequent workouts is counter productive.

This is a wicked smaht reminder for all of us. Thanks, mikey. I have certainly forgotten this (or gotten carried away) from time to time.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

This is a wicked smaht reminder for all of us. Thanks, mikey. I have certainly forgotten this (or gotten carried away) from time to time.

+1

Mikey is wise. I needed this reminder as well.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

ckerr1999

Ok. Did my second set of intervals tonight. Think a bit of an improvement over last week. Held a constant 1:48 through all the intervals