Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

henryc

I'm considering running in a pink skirt.  However, I bet Keith Straw will be there in his tutu and that is 1) too similar and 2) he will absolutely kick my ass by 20ish minutes anyway.  Mostly I just wanted to say 'skirt'.

I'm in the same corral as him. Heck we've got almost the same bib time, 7460 here. I'm confident that he will finish ahead of me.

xhristopher

What about the people that apparently don't own a piece of clothing that doesn't have a race logo on it?  Let us know when you see the first person just walking around pre-race in compression socks.  

I just saw a Dutch guy in a bright orange track suit, (Nederland on the back) at the bagel place around the corner. I expect he will return to his homeland victorious in a bright orange Boston jacket.

I just saw a Dutch guy in a bright orange track suit, (Nederland on the back) at the bagel place around the corner. I expect he will return to his homeland victorious in a bright orange Boston jacket.

I actually like the jacket this year, will probably pick one up.  If I had a Nederland track suit I would DEFINITELY be bringing one home, it's like Boston special ordered them by the entrant's country.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

March 30/April 1. Got 100k. Plenty of time to recover before my long run on Patriot's Day from Corral 4.

Pretty sure the fourth wave has only one big corral Ternt.

I saw Keith Straw standing in a porta potty line in Hopkinton last year, but he was still wearing his warmups so I didn't want to bother him.  I figured it was pretty much the only quiet moment he was going to get, once he gets in tutu mode I'm sure the attention can get overwhelming.  I would love to get a pic with him if I could do it without being obnoxious.

Tall skinny bald guys in black warmup suits are a dime a dozen out in Hopkinton, so at first I wasn't sure it was him.  The pink sneaks kinda gave him away.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'll be working the expo again this year. Saturday noon - 2ish. After running 21 in the morning. Probably handing out race packets. Last time I worked the women's table. Note to self: Always assume they want extra small and work you're way up. Don't ever offer up a large. 

xor

I'll be working the expo again this year. Saturday noon - 2ish. After running 21 in the morning. Probably handing out race packets. Last time I worked the women's table. Note to self: Always assume they want extra small and work you're way up. Don't ever offer up a large. 

And, whatever you do, don't followup a request for "I want size X" with "...well, you know they will shrink, right?"  Undecided

The last time I worked packet pickup for a race with shirts, the dude next to me kept saying this.  I know he was trying to be nice, but, eeek.

Kalsarikännit

I'm considering running in a pink skirt.  However, I bet Keith Straw will be there in his tutu and that is 1) too similar and 2) he will absolutely kick my ass by 20ish minutes anyway.  Mostly I just wanted to say 'skirt'.

Can't not throw in a pic of him.  Keith at Badwater.

Image Detail

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

FYI, for anyone who plans on being sleepy before the race and hates the environment, a piece of advice I was given before the marathon (and saw countless times in action), if you are going to be sitting around for a long time before the race, buy a cheap inflatable pool raft.  That way you have somewhere to sit or lay down while killing a hour or two.

FYI, for anyone who plans on being sleepy before the race and hates the environment, a piece of advice I was given before the marathon (and saw countless times in action), if you are going to be sitting around for a long time before the race, buy a cheap inflatable pool raft.  That way you have somewhere to sit or lay down while killing a hour or two.

Having filled several of those things with my own lungs at home, I'd think twice about that energy expenditure. The Boston Sunday Globe crinkled up in a trash bag works pretty well. 

xor

If only I could find one in a Seattle store in April.  It isn't pool season here until... wait.  It's almost never pool season here.

(the guideline is "5th of July through Labor Day", but last year summer skipped us except for a three week window at the end of August.)

Kalsarikännit

Anyway, if any of you that have done this before know if there is going to be an issue with security bringing my bag (I'm planning on packing light) to the expo that would be great?

I don't know about security, but that expo is PACKED and aisles are narrow.  I loved everything about Boston, but really, really hated the expo.  Every runner brought every last member of their extended family with them, and you couldn't move through the place without battling the build up of children and great-great aunts.  Of course, I also went at a really dumb time in the middle of the afternoon the day before.  If you just get your bib and shirt you will be fine.  That is in the front.  I just wouldn't try to get a bag around in the area with the booths.

#8348 for me (Wave 1) but I'm going to start with my training partner in Wave 2, Corral 2. She's likely going to kick my butt and I'll feel better about it if I start with her than ahead of her!  We're shooting for a 3:10, but will happily settle for a 3:15.... or a good beer at the finish line.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

xhristopher

I don't know about security, but that expo is PACKED and aisles are narrow.  I loved everything about Boston, but really, really hated the expo.  Every runner brought every last member of their extended family with them, and you couldn't move through the place without battling the build up of children and great-great aunts.  Of course, I also went at a really dumb time in the middle of the afternoon the day before.  If you just get your bib and shirt you will be fine.  That is in the front.  I just wouldn't try to get a bag around in the area with the booths.

The expo moved to a new venue for this year due to a scheduling conflict. Some may complain about getting there but the Convention Center is a much larger and nicer facility so hopefully the extra breathing room will help.

The expo moved to a new venue for this year due to a scheduling conflict. Some may complain about getting there but the Convention Center is a much larger and nicer facility so hopefully the extra breathing room will help.

Plus, right nearby is Whiskey Priest where you can get the Sam Adams 26.2 Brew on tap. 

Kalsarikännit

Plus, right nearby is Whiskey Priest where you can get the Sam Adams 26.2 Brew on tap. 

Are you allowed to have one before completing the marathon?  Sounds like bad luck.  Big grin

That's good news about the expo.  Good for the runners and probably very good for the vendors.  I know that I had no desire to look around and buy stuff.  I just wanted to get the hell out of there.