Pelvic Stress Fracture - Deep water running recommendation (Read 99 times)

After being sidelined for 4 weeks, I finally was diagnosed with a pelvic stress fracture. I've been digging around on the internet looking for non-weight bearing ways to keep up fitness and found information on deep-water running. I have an appointment with my Orthopedic doctor next Monday and hope to get his thumbs up to proceed. Meanwhile, I'm looking into different floatation belt options to use in a DWR program.

1. Any suggestions for a good floatation device? I hear some folks say that some are mildly uncomfortable.

2. The biggest warning I've heard against DWR is the boredom factor. I'll be in a public pool so will have tons of wild kids on summer vacation to dodge, but that may not be entertaining enough. Feel stupid for asking what other's may have done to overcome the boredom. It may be just a matter of "Just Do It".

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

It is very boring. But what helps is to treat your sessions as interval sessions. This helps with the boredom and helps you get the most out of the sessions.

I've found it works well to tether myself to the side of the pool. It helps keep the presumably correct angle, which allows for a more natural running motion.

Any aqua jogging belt will do. They have to be snug so it will be uncomfortable.

Phenix

I invested in a waterproof case for an iPad shuffle and some waterproof earphones. It still wasn't the most fun but it helped. Doing "intervals" was also helpful.

The belt I used was an aqua jogger. I agree with the need for a snug fit.

FWIW I did find it really helped maintain most of my fitness while I was out with a metatarsal stress fracture. Good luck!

Thanks Tom and Phenix. I think I'm leaning toward an Aqua Jogger, too. I found a nine week plan that is mostly interval workouts. Now I'll stay searching for a way to waterproof some gadgets.

I'm still going that my gratitude for running while injured (albeit in the water) will compensate for boredom. I'm a real water bug, so maybe I'll really love it. Might be true.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

PDoe

Agree on the intervals. Change of effort for specific times gives you a reason to watch the time go by rather than just waiting for the total time to pass. Also you'll find you can/will move forward and you can do laps even if it's only using half the length of the pool or across the short width if the pool doesn't have lanes.

Thanks Tom and Phenix. I think I'm leaning toward an Aqua Jogger, too. I found a nine week plan that is mostly interval workouts. Now I'll stay searching for a way to waterproof some gadgets.

I'm still going that my gratitude for running while injured (albeit in the water) will compensate for boredom. I'm a real water bug, so maybe I'll really love it. Might be true.

I'm always amazed at how utterly exhausted I am after doing an interval session of deep water running. But there's no soreness since there's no pounding. I keep telling myself that I should do this as part of my regular training, but getting to a pool, during their limited open hours, is just too inconvenient.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery!

Finally got in the water tonight for my first aqua jogging, interval, training session. It felt great. Feeling soooo much better.

I ordered three things to help:

1. An Aqua-Jogger belt

2. A water-proof MP3 player

3. Waterproof timer that I wear on my finger - so cool

Feel like a little kid with my new gadgets, but that's not what it's about. For now, I'm on crutches, so I got some funny looks, but I managed to get to the pool and in the water and was so grateful to be RUNNING!

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. Now, if only I can figure how to convert aqua-jogging time to miles? Think I can get a way with trying to catch up to my pace bunny?

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Of course it depends on how much effort you are putting in, but I use the equation 10min = 1mile, even though my easy effort is around 8:30 pace; water miles just aren't the same.  More sensible is to just use the time equivalence with some percentage modifier.  Your easy pace is about a 12min/mile.  90mins in the pool is probably equal to 6miles on the road for you.  60min = 4miles, etc.  That's what I would go with.

One way to do intervals is to actually take the belt off, work hard to keep your form and afloat.  The ease of this greatly depends on your personal buoyancy.  Don't fall back into treading water.  Don't cheat with your hands by making treading water motions.  Keep your running form.  This tires me out quickly, but others I know do the whole session like this.

I had the same injury a year ago.  A friend let me use his pool and I racked up one week with 60miles.  Podcasts (This American Life) saved me.

Best of luck.  Seems to take about a year to feel 'right'.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

onefatchick

Curious if the "aqua shoes" are a necessary item.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Other than the water, nothing is really necessary for this.  But the belt certainly helps the body.  And the MP3 player helps the mind.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Third day in and really enjoying it. Today was a steady run for 30 and it was fine...thanks to having music with me. Tomorrow is supposed to be my stretching day, but I'm going to switch with Friday's workout since the pool has early morning lap swimming Monday through Thursday. I think this is really going to save me - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Sounds silly, but I was really getting unglued.

Thanks you again for your help and guidance. BTW, for motivational reasons, I decided to stick with logging my "miles". I'm so goal motivated and tracking keeps me calm, that logging my miles will help me stick to this plan. I'm translating about 12 minutes to a mile, which I believe is very fair considering my running log.

OFC - I'm managing just fine without shoes.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

just found this post//..........how're you doing??

check in over at Masters Forum if the answer isn't ''Great''

I've been PoolRunning for 7-years

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

No, not at all. I've done it many times w/out the shoes.  As stadjak said, the only thing that you might consider is a belt, and possibly a rope to tether yourself to the side.