For those who've moved to Jersey (Read 805 times)

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Bergen County is pretty great. I'd avoid Newark unless you're headed to the airport, and I've heard Camden isn't any better. I'm sure they have their good sides...

There are neat little towns/cities/boroughs (I still haven't figured out if a borough is the same as a city, as I've never lived in a state with boroughs before), a nice bike path for running, and a short (enough) distance to NYC and state parks.

In transit, arriving on time. 

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I'm in the pro-jersey camp.  I've lived in several states and countries, and NJ is one of my favorite places.

If remaining connected to NYC is important there are a lot of very nice towns which are a quick commute in.  I know there are a ton of NYC expats in some of the bigger towns within 45 min to midtown.  Summit, Westfield, Montclair, Millburn and Ridgewood are all very popular among this crowd.  Morristown is a bit further out but also has a lot going on.  Taxes in union county (Summit/Westfield) and Morris Count (Chatham/Madison/Morristown) are generally lower than Essex.  But still high.  I agree that Princeton is also great, btw.  As are many other smaller towns in Bergen county.

When I first got married, we lived in Hoboken...it was a struggle to get my wife out of the city (she's from Brooklyn).  She's very happy we did it though, and loves our town.  Once you have the kids its easy to get connected to the community, after which you wont miss the city so much.  Many of our friends and neighbors lived in the city previously.  The upshot is you can always get into the city for dinner/concerts/sports and its easy.

I never look for parking.  Running in suburbia is definitely better.  I rarely wait for traffic lights when running.  I have a lot of varied routes, access to trails, and routinely see woodland creatures on my runs.  Mecca, its not.  But its worth exploring.  It will really boil down to where you want to raise your family, and it sounds like your mother-in-law already has a convincing opinion.

My experience is very similar. We moved to NJ 25 years ago with trepidation and have found it to be a great place to raise a family and to run. I don't mind when people dump on the state based on Camden and Newark or even the NJ Turnpike. Let them stay away and we can have the beautiful shore, the country roads, the Delaware Water Gap, and the D & R canal to ourselves.

I would just suggest that you check out the train service the NYC in any NJ community that you are looking. For us to get to NYC, we have to take 2 trains, changing in Newark. Not a big deal (I get into the city 2-3 times a month), but it would be easier if I lived in a town with a direct line.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Depending on where you end up you had better put your name on the wait list right away. By the time a spot frees up you might need it.

Or find a place to live within walking distance of the train station. That's what we did. But you will need a car to get around. There's a lot of public transportation to NYC, but not to grocery stores.

tomatolover

I moved to Bergen county, NewJersey 12 years ago from Oregon (Michigan born)….Say what you will about NJ (and I do), & also depending on where you live, NJ's got some pretty kick ass school districts- something you'll definitely be looking into with the kids and all. Bergen Academy (magnet high school) is listed one of the top 10 schools in US repeatedly, and the local districts are super competitive academically- something to look at.

tomatolover

double post

dodger20

new jersey has some great areas  but it's an expense ; my sister lives there and is constantly complaining about the property taxes in spite of that i've considered moving there but if i did they would put a tax on my pension it would'nt be huge but it's a hidden expense. i'm just curious would you ever consider staten island? you'd be sort of in the middle but alot lower in those property taxes and i mean ALOT

Latent Runner

I moved to Bergen county, NewJersey 12 years ago from Oregon (Michigan born)….Say what you will about NJ (and I do), & also depending on where you live, NJ's got some pretty kick ass school districts- something you'll definitely be looking into with the kids and all. Bergen Academy (magnet high school) is listed one of the top 10 schools in US repeatedly, and the local districts are super competitive academically- something to look at.

I'm from Michigan and moved to Bergen County New Jersey (by way of California, Georgia, Illinois, and Texas) sixteen years ago.  I left Bergen County over eleven years ago once our property taxes headed north of $1,000 per month (our old neighbors tell us it's more like $1,700 per month now).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                SillyC

Check the year of the OP...  it's 2012.  Feel free to carry on discussing NJ, but I think the OP probably decided by now.