Running Wizard & Nobby disappearance (Read 490 times)

Eric Smile, Thanks for the explanation and history. I'd been following some of the early development of the plan and Lydiard Foundation back in CoolRunning. Agree with the sites being ugly and having issues. You've certainly the improved the sites. It's a bummer that you haven't been paid for your work and hope that gets resolved soon.

Thanks for everything you've done for the running community.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    Christirei

Eric Smile

I think you are awesome and you have always stepped in to help those of us using RW plans to tweak or fix or change dates or whatever we need. Thank you so much for letting us all know what has been going on! We were all confused! This helps and now I know to stop recommending the site to other runners

Hope things get resolved soon and you get compensated for the awesome plans that we all love! And if it works out that you can get the rights to the plans you created, sign me up!  Smile

jfa

That sucks Eric.

Thanks again for all you do here.

eric :)

I wonder if they would be willing to license the RW formulas to you. Seems like that would be a more favorable business position for you and a win for RW users.

I had thought about licensing the formulas from RW.  Even though they haven't done much to promote it, they were getting a steady stream of purchases.  If I put it on RA, it'll get much more exposure.  I could reuse the code I wrote for them on RA, so the adaption should be minimal.

I didn't ask because I feel that if they couldn't get their act together to pay me, then they definitely couldn't come up with the paperwork to complete the licensing agreement.

xhristopher

I had thought about licensing the formulas from RW.  Even though they haven't done much to promote it, they were getting a steady stream of purchases.  If I put it on RA, it'll get much more exposure.  I could reuse the code I wrote for them on RA, so the adaption should be minimal.

I didn't ask because I feel that if they couldn't get their act together to pay me, then they definitely couldn't come up with the paperwork to complete the licensing agreement.

Eric,

Could you use the general coding and framework from the work you have done with another set of formulas and from another coach or method and host that at RA?

Since the RW formulas are their IP, you would leave all that behind and recycle what you built and own with a new coaching framework. Perhaps start simple with basic training plans designed to take new runners to successful completion of their first half or full marathon. I look at folks following the Higdon plans and can think of many users here at RA who could write such a plan (or better) off the top of their head. What would be different with  the RA plan would be that it could adjust dynamically to the runner based upon what they have been doing - or not doing. This wold also appeal to a very large segment of the running population. With some success it could grow to more intermediate to advanced coaching. Perhaps early success with a beginner program could attract an excellent coach who would make a great partner.

This could be another offering to your subscription model and potentially bring in many new users. It could eventually integrate with your existing training plans.

When I started logging with RA in 2009 and building towards my first marathon a very basic plan would have been of huge value to me.