FIRST Training Program?? (Read 162 times)

ckerr1999

Thinking of trying the FIRST training program. I have been running now for about 9 months. I completed my first Half-Marathon after 3 months in 2:12. Then last weekend completed my second half marathon at 1:54. An 18 minute improvement. My training over the last 2 1/2 months averaged 35-40 miles a week, with progressively longer run of 13-16 miles. I am now focusing on training for my first marathon this October. Before I discovered the FIRST method, I was going to try and keep building my base up to 50-60 miles a week. The lower mileage on FIRST concerns me. However I understand the intensity is much more. I guess its a trade off. Not too sure if I will enjoy the cross training, but I do own a stationary bike. I would sooner run rather then ride a stationary bike. Not looking to start my formal training program for another week. Yesterday was my first run this the HM, then today winter returned with a vengence with very high winds and hail. So no run today. This next week I am just going to focus on getting back into my normal runing routine.  Thanks

P.S. If i were not to do FIRST, I would probably follow the Hansons training method.

Feeling the growl again

Thinking of trying the FIRST training program. I have been running now for about 9 months. I completed my first Half-Marathon after 3 months in 2:12. Then last weekend completed my second half marathon at 1:54. An 18 minute improvement. My training over the last 2 1/2 months averaged 35-40 miles a week, with progressively longer run of 13-16 miles. I am now focusing on training for my first marathon this October. Before I discovered the FIRST method, I was going to try and keep building my base up to 50-60 miles a week. The lower mileage on FIRST concerns me. However I understand the intensity is much more. I guess its a trade off. Not too sure if I will enjoy the cross training, but I do own a stationary bike. I would sooner run rather then ride a stationary bike. Not looking to start my formal training program for another week. Yesterday was my first run this the HM, then today winter returned with a vengence with very high winds and hail. So no run today. This next week I am just going to focus on getting back into my normal runing routine.  Thanks

P.S. If i were not to do FIRST, I would probably follow the Hansons training method.

You are better with Hansons than FIRST.  Hansons is a well-reasoned plan geared for people of moderate experience and running volume.  FIRST is a program which people with a large base could thrive off of for awhile, but all others will probably be disappointed or injured.

If you are training for distance races, there is simply no replacement for volume.  Increasing intensity simply does not do it.  The fact is that most people that do FIRST fall short of the requisite volume of cross-training and intensity during runs, and therefore it does not live up to expectations.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If you had success with increasing mileage (18 min PR at HM is nothing but a success), why would you want to try a completely different approach.

JML

I used FIRST for a few training cycles including a half and a full marathon [ I even signed up for their e-coaching].  While I did enjoy some success [HM went from 1:55 to 1:47], I would recommend that you think about another approach.  I was very diligent with the cross training but I still think that my aerobic capacity was underdeveloped come race time.    I also grew weary of EVERY running workout being a hard effort.

I now use a more balanced approach [RunningWizard] and feel that I am much better prepared on race day [my HM time also went from 1:47 to 1:37 using this method].  Whatever you choose, I think that there are better options than FIRST, particularly if you would 'sooner run rather then ride a stationary bike.'

Good luck.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

I also grew weary of EVERY running workout being a hard effort.

That's a big reason why I did not use it, thought not the only reason.  I think running hard every day would take all of the enjoyment away in a very short time.

FIRST is crap.

Runners run

I've tried Hansons and would respectfully suggest that the "pure" program is a bad idea for someone with less than a year of running, for a couple reasons.  The MP Thursday runs ramped up too early for me and I found them too hard to complete (which is probably just another way of saying I wasn't ready 18 weeks out as maybe I should have been).  I also concluded that the shorter long runs were not optimal.  At 60 mpw, 18 and 19 miles were doable and I felt like having those extra few miles would have helped, at least psychologically.

Having said that, I did appreciate the Hanson plan's core principle: run consistently.  It's old fashioned but time tested.

I also just glanced at your log and there are an awful lot of track miles.  I'd suggest that incorporating more hills into your runs could also go a lot further than either FIRST or Hansons.  Maybe even some trail runs?

Anyway, just some thoughts from a mid-packer.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

If you want to be a better runner, run.

If you want to be a better stationary biker, ride a stationary bike.

I'm not saying cross-training isn't worth it occasionally but I'm a believer in specificity of training. You dropped 18 minutes from your first to your second HM by running more. Keep at it.

ckerr1999

Thanks everyone. Looks like there is a pretty good consensus here. Think I will probably stick with the Hanson Program but with some modifications. Increase my long runs up to 20 miles, and include some Hill work...I wasn't looking forward to having to ride a stationary bike....thanks

zonykel

Thanks everyone. Looks like there is a pretty good consensus here. Think I will probably stick with the Hanson Program but with some modifications. Increase my long runs up to 20 miles, and include some Hill work...I wasn't looking forward to having to ride a stationary bike....thanks

I thought 20-mile runs were not part of the Hansons' program...