yet another taper question (Read 615 times)

I know this has probably been asked a bunch, but I'm getting the prerace nerves and feel like I need to do something. I'm running a HM on sunday, and am wondering if I should do something 'fast' today. I'm going to run 6 either way, the question is-do I put a hard 2 miles in the middle or just run? I feel well rested-my last long run was on xmas, and my last tempo run was Dec 22nd (too long ago!). I did do a very fast mile towards the end of my last long run, but I feel like I need to get the legs moving a bit today. Should I, or just do it easy and rest more for sunday?
      Sure go for it. You've got three more days to do easy jogs, throw in a couple quick miles at HMP or a bit faster, just don't go crazy.

Runners run

Thanks. I did it. I hope I didn't "go crazy". It was pretty damn hot out (for jan 2).
        Mr R

A taper without speed is called "getting out of shape." If you feel like you need to go fast, do it. Just make sure that you stop before it starts to feel like real work. Are you running the OC Half?

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Yes, the OC half. I did 2 miles hard yesterday-harder than race pace, that is. Modified to add: I haven't actually added any true speed work yet. I've just been increasing my weekly(ish) tempo run in pace and duration.
            Mr R

If you're training for races of 12k and longer, you don't need to worry too much about VO2max stuff. It's the LT and high end aerobic training that really matters. I think that the missing link for a lot of road racers is the long, hard run. Too many runners expect to run fast marathons based off tempos that are 1 min/mile faster than race pace and long runs that are 1 min/mile slower than race pace. One of my favorites is 5 miles at 30 seconds slower than race, 5 miles at race, and 5 miles at a hair faster than race pace. The only exception would be strides/pure speed, just to work on efficiency. I think it's good to incorporate that stuff, year-'round. I was supposed to run the OC half as well, but running in the snow for the past two weeks has messed with my knee. I think I'm going to be cross training for the next month or so.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

I don't think I've done any runs that are quite analogous to your 5/5/5, but I have done a few longer runs that were quite a bit faster than prior to any of my previous HMs (2 of them). I also did a 13 miler on xmas where I, for some reason, decided to run the 12th mile very, very hard (11th was pushing it leading into it)-probably 30ish seconds faster than projected HM pace. I probably fit into the category of runners that has done a few long runs 1 min slower than race pace, and a few tempos faster than race pace, but not too many sustained efforts at (HM) race pace. I also seldom do strides, which I know I need to add into the mix. Probably only when I'm trying to beat a traffic light. I'm going to re-evaluate everything after this race. I did a HM 3 months ago, ran stupid, and wasn't in the same condition that I'm in now. My training runs have gotten better across the board, so I'm hoping to race well. Since you're running in snow, you're obviously not local to OC, or were you travelling? Do you mind posting your logs? I find it very interesting to look at what others do on a weekly/monthly basis.
                Mr R

I live in LA, but I was visiting family in MN. Work picked up in November, so I've been trying to hang onto the fitness that I built up over the last 6 months. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that something finally snapped after many short nights and lots of back-to-back hard days on the weekends, trying to make up for what I miss during the week. The logs go back to April, when I started competing. They may be a little screwy due to the Coolrunning switch.

thanks for posting. You do quite a bit of running (fast). I'd obviously like to increase my numbers, but can't imagine ever running that much.
                    Mr R

It took me a few years to get here. I think the key was just steadily increasing mileage without any long breaks. Basically, I just ran 1 hour, every day, and 1.5 hours on Saturday. After I was doing sub-7 pace fairly comfortably, I started seeking out really fast runners to do workouts with. That pushed me through to the next level (or two). A few years ago, it was a struggle to do 2 miles at 6 minute pace. Now, I'd be surprised if I went any slower than that for a marathon.

Yes, my issue has always been the long breaks. I used to be really fast in HS, then didn't last long in college, and took a long time off. In that time off, I smoked, drank, got fat, and then started running again. I've been doing it for several years, but never for more than 7 or 8 months without taking a 5 month 'break'. I'm hoping to break that habit in 2008 and just keep building. I can already tell the difference in my running between now and mid-october (last HM). Back to the taper: did an easy 4 in the rain, and my legs are ready to go. So much so that I'm questioning my target pace, which was 7:10 for the first 6 or 7, then take it from there. Probably should stick with that. I tend to forget how long 13.1 miles is (while racing) and get stupid around mile 5 (this feels too easy!).
                        Mr R

Sounds like you're ready to pop a good one. Chances are, even if you think you're holding back, you'll still go out under your goal pace. The effect of adrenalin on your starting pace is magnified for longer races. Hold back till at least 8, hammer at 10. The nice thing about longer races is that when you go out a little slow, you can "spend" that energy later on. No matter how good you're feeling through 10, you should be able to sufficiently exhaust yourself in the last 5k.

thanks for the advice. I keep going back and forth on the pace, but I'll go with your suggestion of conservative til 8, then re-evaluate based upon how I feel then. I have a GPS, which I've never used in a race, and I hope that this will help me not run a 6:20 first mile.