Torn (Read 167 times)

Revenge of the Nerd

Halfway into Saturday's AM run I briefly lost focus and tripped on a raised water line access in the middle of the bike lane.  I broke my fall with both hands and suffered abrasions on the right knee, left hip and left elbow.  I wrote a letter to the street department after finishing the run, advising them of the need for repair.

port hands jacket

The flesh wounds will heal.  I'm more ticked about the gash in my Hind jacket.  I bought it at one of the nicer "clearance" stores so it 's not about the cost - I just like the jacket.

Anybody have any experience repairing lightweight 100% polyester?

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Walk-Jogger

Ouch~ Bummer,  I hate it when that happens. I have no words of advice for fixing your jacket either. Looking at that raised iron water-thingy that you tripped on reminds me of an incident in Spokane a few years back involving a small pick-up truck that had been drastically lowered and heavily customized. When the young owner drove it through downtown Spokane, the frame or front suspension of the truck snagged on an iron thing just like that on a roadway that was being re-surfaced, and totaled the truck, stopping it instantly in it's tracks.

Retired &  Loving It

....Anybody have any experience repairing lightweight 100% polyester?

Duct tape? That's what I've used on my minimalist shell. You might be able to find some press-on patches of suitable material.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Revenge of the Nerd

Cecil: I stopped instantly in my tracks, too.

Duct tape? That's what I've used on my minimalist shell. You might be able to find some press-on patches of suitable material.

That's an idea.  Thanks AKTrail. I can probably even find duct tape in orange.

~ H.G. Bohn

Prince of Fatness

Maybe turn it inside out and duct tape the inside.  Shouldn't see it that much then I would think.

Not at it at all. 

Half Fanatic #846

You probably can!  However, I couldn't find it in plain brown (WTH?)  which surprised me - looked in several places including on the 'net and finally settled on camo.  Saw some weird duct tape though, like zebra, paisleys, and various non-sensical (to me) patterns/designs.  Good luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

You probably can!  However, I couldn't find it in plain brown (WTH?)  which surprised me - looked in several places including on the 'net and finally settled on camo.  Saw some weird duct tape though, like zebra, paisleys, and various non-sensical (to me) patterns/designs.  Good luck!

Yeah, duct tape is a "thing" with some people.  I had a student a few years back that didn't quite get to the point of making her prom dress out of duct tape like I've seen stories about, but she'd make purses and other accessories and sell them.

Anyway, I found this article, about repairing polyester fabric, but a quick search for the polyester repair patches mentioned didn't turn up anything right off.  Not much time to really look, though...surely a more involved search would turn up something.

Good luck!  I know it's irritating when a favorite apparel item gets torn/damaged.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Revenge of the Nerd

Anyway, I found this article, about repairing polyester fabric...

Thanks mab.  REI sells a repair product called Tenacious Tape.  I'm going to give it a try.

Duct tape makes an excellent nipple guard.  Give me some duct tape and zip ties and I'll conquer the world.

~ H.G. Bohn

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Duct tape makes an excellent nipple guard.

Ye gods, man!  If your nipples can withstand the removal of duct tape from them, then I submit you do not need nipple guards in the first place!  Big grin

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

You'll ruin your knees!

Maybe turn it inside out and duct tape the inside.  Shouldn't see it that much then I would think.

This has been a good option for me... Marmot Precip jacket good as new!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

The "real" duct tape is gray. My blue shell proudly has a touch of gray, although I think that might be on the inside. I patched it so many years ago, I've forgotten.

That said, my purple Xodus 3's sport a black 1in wide black "duct" tape patch (gorilla brand, maybe) on left toe where I skewered it on a root. Patched with Elmer's and black tape. I couldn't find gray in the store, which was a shocker. But since the trim for the shoes is black anyway, it looks like a cool racing stripe.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog