Sidelining knee injury just before peak marathon training week--help! (Read 494 times)

bobloblaw

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Roll eyes So here's the sitch: inspired by some beautiful dirt road runs during my vacation, I attempted a 2 mile trail segment for last wednesday's 9 miler. It was dusk by the time I got to the trail, and it was a bad choice to continue. I went flying on a root and just barely avoided taking a nasty spill. Afterward, I felt a little achy, but not too bad. I skipped my Thursday run out of laziness. Saturday, I made it to mile seven of 12 when after a badly cambered hill, my right calf started feeling like it was just dangling from my knee--very unstable. It was very uncomfortable, but I wouldn't describe it as painful. I was able to walk for a bit with no pain, then start back running. However, one of my running buddies threw an arm out to keep me from crossing in front of a yahoo turning into a crosswalk, and I braked with my wonky leg. That was pretty much the end of my run, though I walked the last 4 miles. I'm icing and taking naprosyn and resting, and if things aren't better by the time I get back from my business trip next Monday, I'll go to the doctor. I'm just curious though, has anyone here run a marathon after missing a week of training this close to the race? If so, I'd love to hear about your comeback. (I'm scheduled to run Richmond on Nov. 10th.) Thanks!
    PWL

Has been

My marathon training was all kinds of spacey for several weeks before the marathon I ran on Oct 7th. I think I ran 7 times max in the 3 weeks before my marathon, including not running at all the week prior to the race. It wasn't a huge issue in my mind, although I will admit it made my pacing a little crazy on race day--which resulted in my bonking at mile 21 of the marathon (oh well, lesson learned). As long as you have put in several months of solid training, I don't think a week missed is really going to make a big difference. Good luck! Smile

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Mr E

"Velocitus Delectiblus"

I was forced to take a five day break two years ago before running Richmond due to a upper respritory infection. It took about a week more to get my lungs clear and my strength back. My legs felt great on race day and I BQ'd. If it were me, I would probably go to the DR anyway just to be sure. I hope things work out for you. Richmond is a great course. A week off will just freshen your legs for that great downhill finish. Good Luck!
        bobloblaw

Thanks for the anecdotes and encouragement. I probably should have mentioned that this week is supposed to be my peak week--my only 20 miler. I guess I'll just pretend I fall with the experts who recommend no more than 16-18 mile long runs while I embark on my super-taper! One advantage I do have--I live under a kilometer from mile 9 (just past the first bridge for those of you familiar with the course) so I'm very familiar with the route and have run every inch of it except for the finish during my training.