Bah, Bloody Blisters! (Read 648 times)

vicentefrijole

... my last pair of shoes had sort of a U-shaped notch cut out of the back, while the new NB 1000s don't have this notch and instead go straight across (so the area that is being rubbed was actually not covered by shoe in my previous pair).
    Oy.... this is a complicated problem! I wish I could think of a solution... Confused But your comment above leads me to think that for the immediate future, you might want to stick with your old shoes (at least until that 10 mile race has passed). Plus, this will allow your wound to heal, which is definetely your first step... The way I see it, either 1) this new pair of shoes is rubbing severely and so is never going to work for you (gardening shoes they will be!), or 2) the new pair just rubs a little and wouldn't be a problem if you had a little callus built up (which you don't, of course, because the shoes are brand new). If the answer is #2, then you might be able to let your wound heal and then slowly start to use them again on short runs (and alternating with the old shoes) and with lots of lubricant (bring it with and keep applying it?) (or new socks, ductape, or some other strategy) so that a callus forms slowly. Does that make any sense? Confused Anyways, I'm not some kind of blister expert Big grin, but I sympathize with your problem... I've had some minor blistering problems with new shoes (usually on the toes where the top of the shoe folds down and rubs just slightly) and they usually turn to really funny looking calluses as long as I keep them covered with body-glide. However, if yours started bleeding that quick, it must be rubbing pretty hard, which might mean (I'm sorry to say) these shoes might not be good for you. Cry
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The way I see it, either 1) this new pair of shoes is rubbing severely and so is never going to work for you (gardening shoes they will be!), or 2) the new pair just rubs a little and wouldn't be a problem if you had a little callus built up (which you don't, of course, because the shoes are brand new). If the answer is #2, then you might be able to let your wound heal and then slowly start to use them again on short runs (and alternating with the old shoes) and with lots of lubricant (bring it with and keep applying it?) (or new socks, ductape, or some other strategy) so that a callus forms slowly. Does that make any sense? Confused
      Yup. And I'm definitely going to try a few different things in the event that I find something to work well. At the very least I will try the slight heel lifts and Chamois Butt'r (an anti-chafing cream that cyclists use, but I have read some reports of runners having success with the stuff) applied liberally to my heel and inside of my sock. Once I get it to heal I will also give the duct tape option a go (I'll probably try a blister pad with duct tape on top until it heals, since the blister pads by themselves don't stick well at all on that spot). The fact that it only is affecting one foot is what really irks me. Stupid asymmetrical feet! The solution would be so much easier if BOTH feet were having issues--then I would most definitely be in the market for a different pair of shoes--but my left foot couldn't be happier. And for my first couple of shorter runs my right foot was also not having any issues. I think if things don't improve before my 10 miler that I will be using my old shoes for that race. At least that would still give me 6 weeks before my half-marathon to be fitted locally for a new pair. At least I *think* one of the larger running stores in Grand Rapids will take back shoes that have issues like this after a professional fitting (and there is an actual New Balance store owned by that store, too). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and I should add that the spot in question isn't even very big--like .33" wide and .25" tall...small. Small and irritating. I'm such a princess. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just got a pair of these and hope they work: Dr. Scholl's Dynastep inserts They're really designed for pronation issues--which I don't think I really have, but that could be the cause of my shin issues...though I imagine so could running oddly while favoring my chafed ankle, too (though I do wonder if perhaps I have some mild over-pronation, as my old shoes are a cushion-stability shoe for mild pronation and my new ones are more a general neutral cushioning shoe. Until a couple of days after the rubbing started on the heel I had no shin issues with the new shoes, though, so I'm more inclined to think the inside shin pain and calf tightness is due to funny gait and not shoe issues). I walked around the house in my shoes for a bit with the inserts in--they're quite comfy. Definitely minimize the up-and-down rubbing of the right achilles area pretty well. Until my raw spot is healed I plan to cover it with those special blister pads and some clear duct tape I found (3M makes it...should definitely help keep those little pads from sweating-off). k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I plan to cover it with those special blister pads and some clear duct tape I found (3M makes it...should definitely help keep those little pads from sweating-off).
            You know you're a runner when.... you apply duct tape to your feet, no problem. Big grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Duct tape is the bomb diggity, man! For about a year I had this miserable wart on one of my index fingers. It started when I was pregnant and was likely due to my body's decreased immune system as a way to protect my son in my belly. Anyhow, I fought and fought and fought, had it frozen a few times, and finally got that sucker to die. Then just after I killed it for good I heard that duct tape was found to be a VERY effective treatment for getting rid of common warts. How insane is that?! I spent a LOT of money on special treatments (like salicylic acid pads and liquid)...I could have just bought a single roll of duct tape! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay