Experienced Marathoners - Let's Talk about your First Time (Read 279 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am going to be sure to have at least 2 of those Dean Chocolate Milk bottles you find at gas stations in the mini fridge in the hotel, I ran the Monumental half last year but can't be sure if they have a chocolate milk at the end and I am not sure if I could even stomach anything at the very end.

My plan if I can find the pacer, is to stay between the 4:15 and 4:30 pacers from the start to probably half way and then gauge how I am feeling and go from there. The biggest thing will be taking it slow in the beginning and not going out too fast, going out too fast in a half marathon is doable and the end result isn't awful.... but I know from other runners' experiences that you can quite pull that stunt during a full marathon.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Charles G

My first marathon went very well because I had already had run 50 races, including a half marathon in one my first races that taught me I wasn't ready for the marathon. I began doing occasional 15 miles in March when I wasn't racing which was often. 1st 18 miler in early august and 5 20's including 22 two weeks before. I had a disastrous 25K on labor day but a big PR in the half two weeks later. I didn't taper much. Ran 15 miles 8 days before and ran 2 miles the last three days.

I ran very conservative and almost even pace the whole way. My 5 mile splits were

37:55-38:00-37:58-38:23-39:49 and the last 2K in 9:39.2. so I slowed down a little the last 5 miles. More important it made me a much better runner. I smashed all my previous PRs the next three years  culminating with my PR in the marathon on the same course.

AshleyShoemaker

Haha, sometimes I like to pretend that my first marathon never happened.  I was overtrained, got injured (hip bursitis + tendinitis).  Ended up with a cortisone injection the week before the race because I couldn't even walk without limping.  Then - because I was young, new, and stupid - I tried to run the race anyways, went out too fast, and walked most of the last 10mi.  I finished in about 5:25 - a solid hour slower than I had anticipated.  Then I refused to run another one for YEARS.

So my advise is REST REST REST.  Don't do anything stupid.  Go out slow.  And whatever happens, don't put too much weight on one race.  There are always more to run.

For the hotel, I always bring breakfast (whatever you like; I like oatmeal + coffee), Powerade (for post-race), and flip flops (love them after a race).  Frankly, as long as you have running shoes and the fuel that you like, you'll be fine.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Haha, sometimes I like to pretend that my first marathon never happened.  I was overtrained, got injured (hip bursitis + tendinitis).  Ended up with a cortisone injection the week before the race because I couldn't even walk without limping.  Then - because I was young, new, and stupid - I tried to run the race anyways, went out too fast, and walked most of the last 10mi.  I finished in about 5:25 - a solid hour slower than I had anticipated.  Then I refused to run another one for YEARS.

So my advise is REST REST REST.  Don't do anything stupid.  Go out slow.  And whatever happens, don't put too much weight on one race.  There are always more to run.

For the hotel, I always bring breakfast (whatever you like; I like oatmeal + coffee), Powerade (for post-race), and flip flops (love them after a race).  Frankly, as long as you have running shoes and the fuel that you like, you'll be fine.

That is my current mantra right now lol. Our post race plan is to go out for breakfast/lunch afterwards, I hope I can still do that lol. Of course I want to shower and change before food.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

NHLA

How are you feeling now?  If you are worn out you need to taper more.

If you're feeling good just cut back 10% each week so you will not go crazy.

Nothing better than feeling strong at the start line.

Start slow.  The first 8 miles it is so easy to go to fast.

As far as a list goes take your favorite running stuff. Nothing new.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

How are you feeling now?  If you are worn out you need to taper more.

If you're feeling good just cut back 10% each week so you will not go crazy.

Nothing better than feeling strong at the start line.

Start slow.  The first 8 miles it is so easy to go to fast.

As far as a list goes take your favorite running stuff. Nothing new.

I am actually feeling really freaking good right now, I am truly enjoying my taper at this point and the race is November 1. I am debating on whether I want Sunday's run to be 8 or 10 miles though.......

PRs

Why is it sideways?

Ah my first time. I remember it so well./ So much anticipation and pressure about wanting it to be just right combined with the intensity of animal desire coursing through my body. Is it possible for something like that to go well? I had dreamed for this moment and imagined it many times. I wish I could say that that the reality matched those dreams, but in truth I went out too hard and blew my wad early. It was embarrassing and awkward but now we are able to laugh about it.

I have found that patience and a mastery of rhythm is the key to endurance. You've got to be responsive as well as aggressive. If you go out too hard, you end up blowing up too soon. But if you ride the wave of restraint the marathon can be an incredible mind-blowing experience that takes you to and past the limits of yourself.

spinach

I don't really remember my first marathons, they were in the 70s.  But I took a 25 year break between marathons and I do remember the first marathon I ran after this break.  My plan for that marathon was to just run it comfortably and not to worry at all about the time.  It was a fairly large marathon, the Twin Cities, I assumed the large marathon would help me by having so many runners around me the entire way.  I didn't want to worry about the time and I really didn't have much of a goal time in mind, I thought I would be somewhere around 3:30 or 3:45 but didn't have a real clue as to what i would be able to do.

Since I didn't want to get caught up in the numbers, I decided not to wear a watch for the race and I tried not to see any clocks along the route and I was pretty successful in avoiding the clocks.  I just tried to run at a comfortable pace.  I did see one clock somewhere (I think it was around 15 miles), but since I didn't worry about what the pace should be it didn't really give me an indication of what time might be.  I think this plan was quite successful, as I had a huge shock when I finished and saw my time was 3:07.  If I had a watch or had paid attention to my time at various points in the race I probably would have forced myself to slow down fearing I was going out too fast.

My suggestion to first time marathoners is to avoid using a watch in the race and not to worry about their time.  Just run at a comfortable pace and enjoy the experience.  Once you have finished the first one, then you can start worrying about the time, but for the first run just go out comfortably and have fun.

kcam

Ah my first time. I remember it so well./ So much anticipation and pressure about wanting it to be just right combined with the intensity of animal desire coursing through my body. Is it possible for something like that to go well? I had dreamed for this moment and imagined it many times. I wish I could say that that the reality matched those dreams, but in truth I went out too hard and blew my wad early. It was embarrassing and awkward but now we are able to laugh about it.

I have found that patience and a mastery of rhythm is the key to endurance. You've got to be responsive as well as aggressive. If you go out too hard, you end up blowing up too soon. But if you ride the wave of restraint the marathon can be an incredible mind-blowing experience that takes you to and past the limits of yourself.

And that post-race cigarette ... now that's satisfaction.

NHLA

I am actually feeling really freaking good right now, I am truly enjoying my taper at this point and the race is November 1. I am debating on whether I want Sunday's run to be 8 or 10 miles though.......

That's great!  Hay is in the barn.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

And that post-race cigarette ... now that's satisfaction.

If only.

steph  

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Cigarettes  lol no thank you, not even the smoke or smell.

PRs

Runningmomto2

I ran my first marathon in 2001 on impulse. I had run a few halfs the previous year in the 1:45-1:50 range, so I figured around 4 hours was doable. I didn't follow any specific training plan, ran maybe 40 mpw for a couple months with 17-18 mile long runs, and brought the same old pair of outlet store Reebook trainers with me to the marathon that I had been doing my LR's in. They were pretty well shot, and I was extremely lucky in that I won a pair of new running shoes (Mizuno Creations) at the expo the day before. Obviously wearing a brand new pair of shoes in a marathon is a big no-no, but I wouldn't have made it in my old shoes (!).

The marathon was a couple months after 9/11 and I had the honor of running many miles of the race with a gentleman who was a firefighter and running in honor of buddies he'd lost in NY. I brought along music but never listened to it. I could have paced better as I ended up walking/jogging the last few hilly miles but still finished in 3:47, so it was a good day :-).

I don't remember my taper much but as I've gotten older I find the taper to be more and more valuable. Best advice is to run the first 20 miles of your race easy, like a long run, and speed it up in the final 10K if you still are feeling good. Plan to eat and drink during the race before you feel hungry or thirsty, using the same gels/drinks you did in training. Eat very bland food the day before, and eat your big meal early.

Above all, have a great time!!!!!!!!!