Lost ten pounds in just over a week? (Read 622 times)

Well, I recently got myself started on the C25K program after looking in the mirror one day and thinking to myself: 'Eww, look at that poor unhealthy bugge... wait a minute, that's me?' This is my second crack at it, actually - the first one died a few years back after I took the time to procure a painful back injury during week five and subsequently watched my aspirations towards better health crumble to dust. Anyway, now that I've started again with a swanky pair of running shoes - I think my original C25K pair may have contibuted to the injury with their absolute lack of padding and my body's absolute lack of lightness - I've been a bit surprised at the speed the pounds have come off. I know it's not going to continue at this rate, but I've dropped from 210lbs to 200 in approximately nine days. Now, here's the thing. I've been reading about this healthy weight loss target of 2lbs a week and it's got me wondering if this is a normal weight loss reaction from simply kickstarting some additional activity into my life or if I'm going too fast - I'm not doing any more exercise than the guide recommends, though my diet's taken a pretty significant whack. I've gone from eating huge meal portions to moderate ones, Coke to water and plenty of chocolate/sweets to... well, pretty much nothing. I'll occasionally have crisps as a snack if I'm hungry and it's not mealtime, and I've still a liking for tea with sugar, but that's it. So, yeah. I'd like some feedback on this if possible, and any suggestions or predictions as to what I can expect from here would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your time!
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Congrats on getting back at it and starting to work on your running again! That's great news! The rapidity of your weight loss does make me raise an eyebrow.... While it's great that you're making positive changes in your lifestyle, it's important to make sure you're getting the nutrients your body needs... including fluids and calories. There are a few groups here at RunningAHEAD you may want to check out. Topping the list would be RA Running for Weight Loss and the Couch-to-5K support group.

Roads were made for journeys...

Runner

whenevery you shock your body in a drastic way by making a change like begining to eat differently/or work out then your body will react in crazy ways. The goal is to lose at a consistent manner because it demonstrates that your body is adapting and a healthy and natural rate to your change in "whatever". Don't get on the scale for a while and just focus on better eating/running and let the weight issue become secondary. healthy living after all is what you are after. I wanted to get down to 160 but I believe my healthy body weight is probably around 165-170 because I stay in that range while eating well and training. Listen to your body closely and it will tell you all you need to really know. good luck and amazing job!

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

A Saucy Wench

It is not unusual to lose large amount the first week. Most of that will be water. The more junk you were eating before, the more excess water you were probably hoarding. If you continue to lose very rapidly, then you need to seriously look at your calorie balance and make sure you are in a healthy range.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7