Please don't tell me I'll always be in this much pain... (Read 250 times)

selliebeanz

Running is my Goliath. It's hard for me to run long distances. I literally only ran half a block before having to stop. My calves begin feeling tight and my lungs start burning. I can walk extremely long distances no problem. I just started running today. I'm beginning to wonder if I even have it in me to run a mile without stopping. I'm basically obese but I get around very well if that makes sense. I'm 260 lbs, 5'2, and I'm 21 yrs old. I'm a female. What can I do to run farther?

Don't expect to be able to go out and run for miles and miles when first starting.

You might consider using a walk/jog program. Try jogging 1/2 to a full block, then walking until you're ready to jog again. Keep repeating for some prescribed amount of time or distance.  Initially, doing this routine a few times/week will be enough. Then, you can add a few more days. On non-running days, try some biking, or just brisk walking. Eventually, you'll get stronger and will be able to jog farther before you feel like you need to walk.  Our bodies are pretty remarkable in how they adapt and get stronger if stressed appropriately.

The key is consistency and small, gradual increases. Keep up the walking. Sloooow down the running. Figure out something that's a little bit challenging, but not too bad. Maybe that would be something like walking briskly for a set time like an hour and throwing in a few easy (slooooow) minutes (or even seconds) of jogging here and there during that hour. Whatever works for you. The idea is to start with something small and sustainable that you can build on. A little bit hard but not "kill me now this sucks and I hate it" hard. It doesn't matter how small or slow it is, just that you do it consistently. If you do that, over time it will get easier and you'll be able to do more and more without wanting to die. If you keep going that way, gradually challenging yourself little by little, you'll be genuinely amazed how far along you'll be in a year. Try to do too much too soon and you won't be running at all. It will just be a memory of something that sucked. It doesn't have to be.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

All of us have struggled with running at one point. I still have bad days where the first mile feels pretty lousy, but it gets better. Consistency is key. You've got great advice already. Listen to it. Start with 3-4 days a week. It will come. Running is a long term sport and it doesn't have any short cut. You have to take the time. You can do it!

You might consider using a walk/jog program. 

Couch to 5K is a popular one that a lot of people start with. It's 9 weeks, but you can repeat any weeks if you find them to be too tough. Take as many weeks as you need to.

Link to Couch to 5K (C25K)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Feeling the growl again

The key is consistency and small, gradual increases. Keep up the walking. Sloooow down the running. Figure out something that's a little bit challenging, but not too bad. Maybe that would be something like walking briskly for a set time like an hour and throwing in a few easy (slooooow) minutes (or even seconds) of jogging here and there during that hour. Whatever works for you. The idea is to start with something small and sustainable that you can build on. A little bit hard but not "kill me now this sucks and I hate it" hard. It doesn't matter how small or slow it is, just that you do it consistently. If you do that, over time it will get easier and you'll be able to do more and more without wanting to die. If you keep going that way, gradually challenging yourself little by little, you'll be genuinely amazed how far along you'll be in a year. Try to do too much too soon and you won't be running at all. It will just be a memory of something that sucked. It doesn't have to be.

Good advice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

pedaling fool

Running is my Goliath. It's hard for me to run long distances. I literally only ran half a block before having to stop. My calves begin feeling tight and my lungs start burning. I can walk extremely long distances no problem. I just started running today. I'm beginning to wonder if I even have it in me to run a mile without stopping. I'm basically obese but I get around very well if that makes sense. I'm 260 lbs, 5'2, and I'm 21 yrs old. I'm a female. What can I do to run farther?

I was not a runner when I got into it and I hated running with a passion, but I knew I had to add this activity to my W/O regimen, because it's such an important part of having a healthy body.

There will become a point where you make a break thru and you'll then actually love running, but that's not to say there will not be any more bad days, but you learn to (in a strange way) even love them bad days. As said before, make small incremental improvements, don't attempt to do too much too soon or you will be injured and that could easily derail your running. Run/ walk program sounds good.

Also, it's not the cardio system that takes so long to build up to running, it's the musculoskeletal system, especially connective tissues. You don't want to injure connective tissue, they can take literally years to heal.

I also would recommend weightlifting as a way to help build up the musculoskeletal system, especially connective tissues. http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/how-best-to-combine-strength-training-and-running

I'm 260 lbs, 5'2,

When I started running, I could only run about 2 blocks.  I weighed 160 lbs at the time, and am 5' 10" tall.  It took me a full year until I could just go out and run several miles.

Greg's advice is dead on.  Build on what you can do, which is walking, and gradually ease into running.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Running is stupid hard.  I started 18 months ago at 130 pounds, and it was hard, and I was in good shape!  The important thing is small, consistent, progress.    So maybe you walk for an hour, and in the last five minutes, jog one block and walk the next, or jog 30 seconds and walk 30.  Losing weight will help, too, in the long run, but consistency is more important than anything else.  I'd also second the recommendation for weightlifting, because as a regular walker you're probably pretty strong, and weightlifting is awesome.

I used the Zombies, Run! C25K program (because zombies), but I also know a lot of people who have had success with a run/walk method (google Galloway), which my sports doc recommended to me once.

I started about 15 months ago and I am only about 150 lb with a single minded focus of increasing my mileage as fast as possible. I just went out there and ran. Well, I hit 5mi after about 4 months and the injuries hit (knee bursitis, soft tissue injury, plantar facitis and hip bursitis). I'm far from being an expert but I think the 1st 8-12 months needs to be about slowly getting used to hitting the pavement (with your heavy cardio done with low impact excercises (elliptical, bike, swim) strengthening and improving your flexibility.

So lots of stretching (quads, calfs, hips, quads, hamstrings, groin - look up on the youtubes). Plus Strengthening (taking hikes where there are hills is great cardio and will strenghten your legs). Heel lifts, squats, toe taps, crab walks (look up again on the youtubes). I also did a lot of this stuff at work when i had an extra few minutes/lunch break.

Also sign up for couch to 5k program, those programs are your friends.

Its frustrating at times but progress in running doesn't happen in a straight line. It takes a long time for your body to build itself up. Starting from 0 to the 5 mile mark takes many months. Going from 5miles to 10miles takes weeks.