Frustrating GPS (Read 240 times)

running metalhead

I am stranded from my planned 30KM run because my Timex Ironman Run Trainer's GPS does not want to work.

The weather is cloudy but this shouldn't be a problem for a GPS, right? For good measure I just started my old eTrex camo and it was able to get a fix on 4 sats in no time. 

To make matters worse the foot pod's batteries are dead and I have completely lost the groove today.

My proposed solution: Go back to my good old FR60, cheap as crap but at least it works. 

Not that the Timex were too expensive either but I had a hard time convincing my wife that it was worth investing in.

Yes I know: I could train without anything, just "by feeling... I would just kindly ask how the heck how I do it to run mile intervals "by feeling". If somebody talks about the Good Old Times: IN these times people had a thing called "Trainers" or friends with bicycles and a chronometer. Running by feeling is very good and nice, but I will have to remake my whole training plan for that. 

So, here I am wasting my time sitting in front of my PC in a very tight schedule, having to fight for every minute that I am allowed to train with wife, work, etc. And now that.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

It sounds like you could really stand to go for a run. I bet you'd feel a lot better afterward Smile

FFS.

Runners run

GPS watches are nice but you dont need one just to go for a run....  Once up on a time there was no such thing and runners were still running.....

If I were you, I'd figure out about how long it would take you to run 30K (estimate) and run that much time.....GOOD ENOUGH

Champions are made when no one is watching

Feeling the growl again

FFS.

+1.

You want to run 30km?  You should know roughly what pace you normally run, multiply that by 30, problem solved.

You want to run mile repeats?  You know about what you'd run them in, say 6:30.  Run for 6:30 on your good old stop watch and call it an interval.  Problem solved.

Your training plan does not come to a full stop because you don't have a GPS.  My best training years were just before wearable GPS came out.  You know how I measured my routes?  Sometimes with the highly inaccurate car odometer method.  Typically I had loops I ran a lot, and after running them enough times you pretty much figured out where the mile marks were and how long the loop was.   Just by estimating.

Then I got my first GPS and ran those routes, and wouldn't you know my estimate was typically within 0.1 miles on an 8-10 mile route.  Good enough.

And I raced way faster than when I had GPS...because I trained more than I did once I had the GPS, and that's all that really matters.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Ask yourself, "what would Meb do"?

Get the F out the door and quit whining. Smile

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Feeling the growl again

A few times I have gone running without even a watch.  Somehow, the world did not end.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

HermosaBoy

A few times I have gone running without even a watch.  Somehow, the world did not end.

My only problem when I do this is that I tend to run a bit too fast.

I guess I am a slave to the feedback that I can look down and realize I am being an idiot.  

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

#artbydmcbride

What!!???    

Runners run

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

My only problem when I do this is that I tend to run a bit too fast.

I guess I am a slave to the feedback that I can look down and realize I am being an idiot.  

Help me understand this.

Do you feel like you're running too fast while you're running?

Do you realize that you ran too fast only after you get back and see how long you've been gone?

What am I missing?  Based on your comment it sounds like you may do well with more GPS free runs.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

HermosaBoy

Help me understand this.

Do you feel like you're running too fast while you're running?

Do you realize that you ran too fast only after you get back and see how long you've been gone?

What am I missing?  Based on your comment it sounds like you may do well with more GPS free runs.

Most of the time this is an issue with recovery runs when I am looking to run easier than normal.

I do not feel like I am running too fast.  However, the perceived effort versus the goal effort do not match.

If I am aiming to run five miles in 37:30 and then run it in 35:15 -- we have a mismatch.

Rob

#artbydmcbride

I thought we are supposed to run by effort.

If you want to run an easy recovery run....and it feels nice and easy....who cares how fast it was?

Runners run

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Most of the time this is an issue with recovery runs when I am looking to run easier than normal.

I do not feel like I am running too fast.  However, the perceived effort versus the goal effort do not match.

If I am aiming to run five miles in 37:30 and then run it in 35:15 -- we have a mismatch.

Well, you have the mismatch.  There's no "we" involved here.

I agree with Ilene, too.  If you're looking for an easy recovery run and your recovery run feels easy then I'm not entirely sure I see the problem.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

HermosaBoy

Well, you have the mismatch.  There's no "we" involved here.

I agree with Ilene, too.  If you're looking for an easy recovery run and your recovery run feels easy then I'm not entirely sure I see the problem.

Royal "We."

Peace -- out.

Rob

Hobie1

Map out your route on mapmyrun.com or gmap-pedometer.com and take your old Timex to figure out the pace.   An out and back with a negative split is better than your crap Timex Run Trainer.  FWIW, I have a Timex Run Trainer and it shoots crap about as often as it works.