Established race handed from one company to another by a City Council... precedent? (Read 250 times)

Runner Mike

Its not like the city put out an RFP though... my opinion: another prototypical example of why RI has such a well earned reputation for corruption.  I wonder how most elected officials here sleep at night.

Well, RI is it's own special category. OTOH, I don't think a city council should just rubber stamp race permits because the Rd/Company has always done it before. I didn't run the race, but it sounds like there were enough issue to question the original RD.  Of course, I don't know if they were blown out of proportion or not.

Plus the whole charity contributio made it look bad.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Has PDR always been a half?  Did it used to be a 10 miler? or am I confusing it with the Broad Street Run?  I went to school near Philly and ran that when I was in college but it was before the internet and it was at a time where the systematic reduction of brain cells was rampant, so my memory is limited.

PDR has always been a HM. I think the first year was 1979 when it started at 8th & Market. Broad Street is a 10 miler.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hip Redux

Two marathons on the same day?   The Newport marathon story gets stranger.

runmichigan

Sounds like neither marathon may happen.  One compnay has permit from Newport but not the surrounding town.  The other company does not have any permits at the moment and is not likely to get a permit from Newport.  If they end up going to court, the case is unlikely to be resolved any time soon.  Basically not having all your permits six months in advance of your race does not bode well for any event.

KMB

Sounds like neither marathon may happen.  One compnay has permit from Newport but not the surrounding town.  The other company does not have any permits at the moment and is not likely to get a permit from Newport.  If they end up going to court, the case is unlikely to be resolved any time soon.  Basically not having all your permits six months in advance of your race does not bode well for any event.

for which I would hold the current Newport permit holder responsible... Eident's owner phrased it well: you buy the race, not the permit.

runmichigan

for which I would hold the current Newport permit holder responsible... Eident's owner phrased it well: you buy the race, not the permit.

While I agree with the statement by Eident's owner, I do not feel he is blameless in this situation.  His company screwed up last year and because of it the council seemed unwilling to grant him the necessary permit (despite the actions of the mayor).

xhristopher

So weird. I liked how the original director tried to work things over, pay his bills, and make good with the mayor. Isn't that what you are supposed to do after a screw up? She seemed to indicate she was satisified with that. 

It seems the only reason the new group survived into the vote was because they offered more money to charity, including once that created a conflict of interest with a council member. So, in a sense he bought the needed vote. To me, that's dirty.

I enjoyed running this race a couple years ago but wouldn't go back and support the new director if he gets it.

BeeRunB

It seems the only reason the new group survived into the vote was because they offered more money to charity, including once that created a conflict of interest with a council member. So, in a sense he bought the needed vote. To me, that's dirty.

To me, a born and (in?)bred expat Rohdylander, that's biz as usual in RI. On the license plates it reads "The Ocean of Conflict of Interest State."

Runner Mike

To me, a born and (in?)bred expat Rohdylander, that's biz as usual in RI. On the license plates it reads "The Ocean of Conflict of Interest State."

hardly unique to RI when it comes to races.