Vasque Velocity VST (Read 725 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone wear these? Reviews? I discovered that this shoe comes in widths, as well as a Gore Tex version...not sure I'm all that eager to spend $120 for them, though. They are REALLY heavy (at least compared to what I am accustomed to). But the thought of dry feet on Fall/Winter/Spring runs sounds pretty appealing, as well as something a bit more substantial as I start doing trail runs and races. My day-to-day shoe is the NB 902, which has a relatively thin, minimal tread sole and lightweight uppers, so I'm not sure how well these will do on trails that are quite sandy deep, loose stuff in areas) with sticks, pinecones and acorns. Not a lot of rocks. How's the traction on snow? I wear YakTrax when it's really snowy and icy, but when it's patchy it's a tough call. YakTrax are crappy on mixed stuff, but my 902s are not great on snow/ice, either. How flexible is the forefoot? That's probably my primary concern, as well as heel fit (I do best in a shoe with stability and a good deal of flex in the front half. I also have a narrow heel compared to my wide forefoot). Do they run pretty regular, big, small..? I haven't found anyone who carries them locally for me to try on. Thanks.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I've worn Gore-Tex shoes. Your feet still get wet. Unless you're doing pretty technical trails, you don't need any real special shoes.
        If you just want traction on trails, SALOMON XA Pro s are pretty good light weight (for a trail shoe) alternative, no Gore-Tex though
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've worn Gore-Tex shoes. Your feet still get wet. Unless you're doing pretty technical trails, you don't need any real special shoes.
          Yeah, I wondered if the Gore-Tex were really all that great...though every time I step in a 3" puddle of slush and spend the rest of the run with cold, wet feet I wonder if it would be enough better than what I have to be worth the extra expense. As far as special shoes, I know Pam has worn the update of my shoe for trail running and really said she felt more stuff underfoot than she liked--but she also doesn't like that shoe for long distances and I happily ran a marathon in them, so maybe my feet are just not very sensitive. I'm not as concerned about traction as I am sore feet.

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

You step in a 3" deep puddle, your socks will get wet. And if you are wearing tights or anything, they are wet as well. Once the socks are yet, it is completely immaterial. I have a pair of Salomon trail shoes, because the trails around here are very rocky. When you can go for a half a mile without touching anything but rocks, they are great. Other than that, they feel clunky and stiff, especially on road.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a pair of Salomon trail shoes, because the trails around here are very rocky. When you can go for a half a mile without touching anything but rocks, they are great. Other than that, they feel clunky and stiff, especially on road.
              Yeah, that's my concern with trail shoes, too (I don't do well even in most moderate stability road shoes, since they tend to be relatively inflexible up front). They are usually stiffer than the road counterparts, unless they are a really minimal flat type of trail shoe, right? I know Pam is wear-testing the new trail version of my favorite shoe. She has also tested the road version. I really hope there's not a huge difference in overall flexibility/function of the shoes.

~ Sarah Kay

Anyone wear these? Reviews? I discovered that this shoe comes in widths, as well as a Gore Tex version...not sure I'm all that eager to spend $120 for them, though. They are REALLY heavy (at least compared to what I am accustomed to). But the thought of dry feet on Fall/Winter/Spring runs sounds pretty appealing, as well as something a bit more substantial as I start doing trail runs and races. My day-to-day shoe is the NB 902, which has a relatively thin, minimal tread sole and lightweight uppers, so I'm not sure how well these will do on trails that are quite sandy deep, loose stuff in areas) with sticks, pinecones and acorns. Not a lot of rocks. How's the traction on snow? I wear YakTrax when it's really snowy and icy, but when it's patchy it's a tough call. YakTrax are crappy on mixed stuff, but my 902s are not great on snow/ice, either. How flexible is the forefoot? That's probably my primary concern, as well as heel fit (I do best in a shoe with stability and a good deal of flex in the front half. I also have a narrow heel compared to my wide forefoot). Do they run pretty regular, big, small..? I haven't found anyone who carries them locally for me to try on. Thanks.
                I generally buy trail running shoes just for daily wear, hiking, etc, mainly because I like the looks of them. The last pair I bought was the Vasque Velocity XCR, which is the gore-tex version. They are great in cool/rainy weather, but I really don't think I'd want to run in these. They are wide which is probably good for you, but they aren't very flexible. They also feel pretty heavy/bulky. I had a pair of the Salomon Comp GTX or whatever a few years ago, and those were some of the best shoes I've ever owned. They were really comfortable and not as warm in the summer as I expected. I wore them all the time for a couple of years. Those, however, were pretty narrow which worked out well for me. I know they make a pair with attached ankle gaiters or whatever you call them, that go over your ankles, but that really seems like it would be annoying to me and probably not very effective.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The last pair I bought was the Vasque Velocity XCR, which is the gore-tex version. They are great in cool/rainy weather, but I really don't think I'd want to run in these. They are wide which is probably good for you, but they aren't very flexible. They also feel pretty heavy/bulky.
                  Yeah, that's kind of what I thought just looking at them and then reading that they weight something like 13oz. in the women's version. That's almost 2x what my regular shoe weighs! Shocked

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

I won a pair of Vasque Aether Techs at a trail race about a month ago. I held off running in them for a while because they felt so different on my feet than the Asics and Brooks I generally run in. I've given them a few runs now and was pleasantly surprised. It did take a little playing with the funny lacing system to get them to fit right, but I figured it out. The Aether Techs are a full on trail shoe though--I didn't like the feel of them at all on pavement, but they are fantastic on the trails.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum