Yay! (Read 549 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had a great run tonite (my best in probably a month)! Not much faster than my last run, but SO much more enjoyable. Not so much as a single twinge of pain. Amazing what catching up on sleep (and not running in awful heat/humidity) will do for a person... Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome back! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No joke! I was really starting to think that my running ship had sailed, but tonite's run proved that lack of sleep and hot weather have severe ill effects on my performance and enjoyment. I am SO looking forward to Fall, now! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Just an FYI from someone in the Midwest who hates to run in the heat and humidity and who also "forgets" to get a full night sleep (if you call a daughter with an ear infection forgetting Wink)... I just read an article on heatstroke in Runner's World this month. They listed reasons get heatstroke and assigned a point system to them (not sure why or what the point system means, but it was interesting anyway). The first two reasons make sense...a harder workout than you are ready for (high intensity) and running in an environment you are not aclimated to...both are worth 6 points. The third reason was lack of sleep...worth 5 points! They explained when your mind isn't fully rested, it is slower than normal. That can cause your "cooling system" to work as efficiently as it should. Also, if you get in trouble, your mind doesn't understand you're in trouble as fast. By the time you know you're in trouble, it's too late. The article was about a stud high schooler that was about to get scholarships to colleges who actually died on a run he had done a hundred times. A buddy of his was on the same trail earlier in the day (only by an hour or two) and did the exact same kind of run and didn't really have any adverse effects. The doctors concluded that the reason the boy died was because he had only a few hours sleep the night before (he was up late working a column for the local paper). The whole story was very sad and full of important information. Sorry this was so long, but it really hit home with the heat and humidity we have all had.
          "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just read an article on heatstroke in Runner's World this month. The whole story was very sad and full of important information. Sorry this was so long, but it really hit home with the heat and humidity we have all had.
            Hey, was that in the 40th anniversary Runner's World? I picked up a copy of that for my return flight...didn't read the entire thing, yet, though. So far lack of sleep really does seem to award me with the worst runs. I hope August is much cooler than July was. So far, so good. k

~ Sarah Kay

It is the Aug, 06 "Beat the Heat" issue. I'm only about half way through it, but then again, it's only about half way through August! Big grin
              "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"