Loose bowels when I run (Read 2080 times)

I have always found that running helps with me going out however, recently I noticed that the moment I start to run by mile one I am passing gas and before mile two I need to take a potty break most times urgently. During my long runs over 13 miles, I have to go out twice. Some times for my shorter runs I have to quickly get off the road to go out. On days that I run twice, I have to hurry back from usually what is a short afternoon run of 4miles or so to get to the bathroom. If I do not run, twice I find that I would not need to go out agin in the afternoon. I do try to go out in the morning before I start running but it seem as if I am not clearing my bowels completely. I do not know if anyone have an opinion on this or has had a similar experience. I am now running approximately 70 + miles per week consistently.
      I have the same symptoms as you! Ever since clearning 40+ miles a week a few months ago I found my bowels doing funky things. Now that I'm trained to twice daily runs I have more movements than normal. The first 3 hours of work today have in fact been characterized by me constantly running to the washroom! I've found that I really have to be deliberate and careful about when and what veggies and fruit I am eating. I made the mistake last night of eating too much broccoli and am paying for it now I think. Cutting down on fruits and veggies the day before or day of a run has helped to smooth out the bowel provlems I was encountering. Now the problem is finding time in the schedule to get the reccomended daily amount. Things sitll aren't perfect or ideal for me, but got better as a result of that.
        Thanks for sharing Sparky. I run 6 to 7 days a week and the problem is that I eat fruits and vegetables everyday. Nothing to do with healthy eating it is just the way I have always eaten. For years, over 10 now I have always made myself a fruit smoothie for breakfast. I have not done that in the last 3 months but I still crave a lot of fruits. I drink a lot of natural Orange juice eat Apples, Kiwi, Strawberries, Bananas almost everyday. There was a time I would make one big dunk in the morning and that was it for the day. However now it just these small and some times large amounts constantly.

The Greatest of All Time

WOW Shocked Do you eat much fiber? I eat at least 50g per day and only go once. Although fiber helps with regularity it also bulks up the stool and might reduce your total daily number of BM's. Gross topic. What does your diet look like?
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Hi Marcus I am naturally a healthy eater. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables I have lots of nuts I have tried to keep this almost exclusively to almonds. However, I do have other nuts on occasions. I eat mainly brown rice, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat bread. I am lactose intolerant so I use soymilk with my cereal. (Currently I eat Kellogg vector cereal) For Protein, I eat eggs, Salmon, Chicken (Mainly brest), and different kinds of fish.

The Greatest of All Time

Well, I eat little to no vegetables. 2 pieces of fruit a day (apple & banana) A couple of handfuls of peanuts or almonds. 2 Cups of milk, usually post run with protein powder. Not much fiber there. But I also regularly eat oatmeal, granola, Thomas Light English Muffins (100 calories with 8 g of fiber), and instead of using bread for my lunch I use these awesome tortillas made by LaTortilla Factory (80 calories with 13g of fiber). I also eat Kashi and Fiber One bars (8 and 9 grams of fiber each), usually one each per day. Just some ideas of stuff that might bulk up your stool or it might not work at all.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My secret weapon: coffee Drink this 90 minutes before run. Cleans everything out. No poopy problems. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

Where would we be without our coffee. I plan my whole race around when I can get my coffee in.
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                    Where would we be without our coffee. I plan my whole race around when I can get my coffee in.
                    Problem is that I do not drink coffee. Not that I have any thing against the stuff. I just never develop the habit. I guess I should think about trying it.
                      My secret weapon: coffee Drink this 90 minutes before run. Cleans everything out. No poopy problems. Smile
                      Well I run in the AM usually between 5 to 5:30 AM Sometimes I have to start at 4:00 AM Not sure I can get up 90 minutes before to drink coffee.

The Greatest of All Time

Problem is that I do not drink coffee. Not that I have any thing against the stuff. I just never develop the habit. I guess I should think about trying it.
                        I am not your typical coffee drinker either. I prefer Hazlenut flavor with skim milk, and about 4 packs of Splenda. So basically, it no longer tastes like coffee. But it does work as a laxative, but for me not immediately.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well I run in the AM usually between 5 to 5:30 AM Sometimes I have to start at 4:00 AM Not sure I can get up 90 minutes before to drink coffee.
                          The only reason I have to do 90 minutes is because of the effect it has on my bladder for about that long. I hate having to stop and pee once I get out on my run. It goes to work on the other end very quickly. So if it doesn't mess with your bladder too much you might be able to suck down a cup or two and get out the door within a half hour or so.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am not your typical coffee drinker either. I prefer Hazlenut flavor with skim milk, and about 4 packs of Splenda. So basically, it no longer tastes like coffee.
                            Hazelnut is my favorite flavor, too. I take a 16oz mug and put about 2oz. of half-n-half, 2 packets of Splenda, and fill the rest of the way with whatever hazelnut brew I have (my favorites are Godiva and Ghiradelli--they know chocolate AND coffee. TJ Maxx often has good deals on those two brands, too).

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Hazelnut is my favorite flavor, too.
                              Panera Hazelnut is my favorite, followed by Dunkin Donuts. For home brew I usually buy Meijer brand. It's not bad.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Meijer stuff is good. Heck, I was just telling did last night how much I really like a lot of the Meijer Gold and Organic products. Definitely better quality than most generic or store brands.

~ Sarah Kay