What is this?: chronic knee/outer calf/ankle/achilles pain (Read 512 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ever since running on lose and slippery snow and ice for a few runs a couple of weeks ago I have had intermittent pains and a bit of weakness in my lower/outer left knee, outer calf, and a little bit in my ankle/achilles. I've been taking as many as 2 rest days between runs, and that seems to help. I had very little pain during my long run on Sunday, but today it was back again. It does seem to ease up a bit into my run, but the first mile or so is pretty uncomfortable. The pains are not always in the same spots, either...they seem to be shifting up and down my left lower leg. I'd like to be doing as many as 4 runs/week, again...seeing as how we have half-way decent, non-snowy weather, but for now I'm not too keen on adding that extra run back in, seeing as how I can't get this painful annoyance to leave for good. Any ideas what could be the culprit? I was having a little knee pain in both knees for a while and new shoes (same model as before) have made my right leg happy, but the left does not seem to have been helped by that. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It seems like the pain goes away after you run for a while so maybe it is a question of warming up before you run, especially in cold temps your muscles can be pretty stiff in the early stages of a run. Just a thought. Ewa
      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it does mostly go away, but then a few hours after I finish running it comes back with a vengeance. I can't figure out why it keeps coming and going...but I wish it would just GO. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

Sorry that I can't offer any good words of advice but I hope it gets better soon girl! Someitmes it can be difficult to be your own coach can't it. You don't want to run too much and exaccerbate a minor problem, but you don't want to miss runs and lose out on training. I hope that you find an answer to this problem really soon. I wonder if you over stretched something when running in those slippery conditions. The Sports Physio said to me that they thought my knee injury was called when I rolled my ankle a couple of weeks ago but that it took a while for the injury to manifest as pain. Could that be part of the problem? Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hope that you find an answer to this problem really soon. I wonder if you over stretched something when running in those slippery conditions. The Sports Physio said to me that they thought my knee injury was called when I rolled my ankle a couple of weeks ago but that it took a while for the injury to manifest as pain. Could that be part of the problem? Claire xxx
            That's kind of what I am thinking, too...something that is getting better, but very slowly. I think my awkward form and a couple of near falls really must have done something to that leg. Heh, for once it's not my right leg/foot giving me all the problems, though... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay