2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

DoppleBock

I am out of Monkey - VP schedules a meeting with all other VP's' President and out Management Team to talk about our locations future growth plans.  Monday 1st thing - I could drive the 10-11 hours there Sat - Finish race Sunday and jump immediately back in car to get hope @ 10pm ... But I am sure I would not be very good in the meeting Monday morning.

I still have a very tweaky hamstring, but even with it limiting most speed workouts - I continue to make nice progress.  Nice and steady - Its all I want right now.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Are we there yet?

I still have a very tweaky hamstring, but even with it limiting most speed workouts - I continue to make nice progress.  Nice and steady - Its all I want right now.

+1 DNF @ mile 15 this weekend in West Virginia.. all systems were good thru 10mi @ 1:02:25, cleared the half on target at 1:22 even; then mile 14 or so my left glute/hammy/buttox gave way to an incredible tight/soreness.. I tried to muster a stride or even jog but the pain was overwhelming. 

Insult to injury was the 5+ hour drive back home sitting on the said problem. 

I posted my best race ever at Indy on Saturday, finishing in 2:57:19.  This gives me a confidence boost for future marathons!

xhristopher

I posted my best race ever at Indy on Saturday, finishing in 2:57:19.  This gives me a confidence boost for future marathons!

Absolutely fantastic! I know you've been working hard at this for a while so it's nice to see the payoff.

Absolutely fantastic! I know you've been working hard at this for a while so it's nice to see the payoff.

Thank you!

+1, you've trained hard and smart for this - and I'm sure there's more to come!

kcam

Congratulations Tom.  As good and dedicated a runner as you are, you were going to hit that sub-3. 3 minutes below that sub-3 musta felt great.  At what point in the race did you KNOW you had it in the bag?  The first time I ever ran sub-3 I still remember the point in the race where I KNEW it was going to happen.  Mile 21 at Boston.  Coming down the hill after Heartbreak and seeing my mile split of 6:50 I couldn't believe I was still under 7min pace.  What a feeling.  A long time ago but I still remember it like it was yesterday - just wondering if you had that kind of a moment ...

Chakaf, bummer - it happens!  Heal up.

Congratulations Tom.  As good and dedicated a runner as you are, you were going to hit that sub-3. 3 minutes below that sub-3 musta felt great.  At what point in the race did you KNOW you had it in the bag?  The first time I ever ran sub-3 I still remember the point in the race where I KNEW it was going to happen.  Mile 21 at Boston.  Coming down the hill after Heartbreak and seeing my mile split of 6:50 I couldn't believe I was still under 7min pace.  What a feeling.  A long time ago but I still remember it like it was yesterday - just wondering if you had that kind of a moment ...

Chakaf, bummer - it happens!  Heal up.

Thanks Ken. I think I knew when my 19th or 20th mile was in the 6:35 to 6:40 range, and I had just passed a group of runners that I had let "go" a few miles sooner.  It may seem premature to think that with a 10K+ to go, but I knew from prior marathons that the bonk feeling started about mile 17 to 18.  My plan was to get to mile 20 with something left in the tank. So when I saw the split, and accessing how I felt, I had a very good feeling the sub 3 was in reach. it gave me the mental and physical boost to push the rest of the way.  

Impact& sport adventurer

Did 2:59:24 in ING New York City Marathon!! Just squeezed it out dropping down to 7:20-7:25/mile the last 3 miles!! Personal Best by 14min 20 seconds.

PBs: 1 mile - 4:59 (2008) 5k - 17:34 (2011) 10k - 37:40 (2011 in Blenheim Half), 21k - 1:21:32 (2011 Blenheim) 42.2k - 2:59:24 (NYC 2011), Ironman - 10:28:43 (2010 Hawaii)

2011 Goals: Olympic Tri - 2h05min (2h09min), 5k: 17:30 (17:34) 10k: 37:00 (did not attempt), 21km: 1:21:00 (1:21:32), 42.2: 2:59:59 (2:59:24)

Congrats BoilerTom!  Very impressive, now time for the <2:50 to match your half PR. Smile

Did 2:59:24 in ING New York City Marathon!! Just squeezed it out dropping down to 7:20-7:25/mile the last 3 miles!! Personal Best by 14min 20 seconds.

Congrats!

Congrats BoilerTom!  Very impressive, now time for the <2:50 to match your half PR. Smile

That seems like crazy talk, though I'm not done trying to go lower Roll eyes

I Ain't Dead Yet!

NYC = FAIL.  3:07:25.  Hit the half at 1:22:10.  Nuff said!!

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                            The days of my youth are far behind
                            My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                            Can't hear one-half that's being said
                            And this is the message I want you to get
                            I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Don S, so sorry to hear about the crash 'n burn at NYC.  Just thinking about a 1:22 followed by a 1:45 half sounds painful.  I remember my very first marathon in college was a 1:14 followed by a 1:31 (with most of the slowdown occurring the last 5 miles), and the pain I had to endure just to get to the finish still haunts me.  

You can at least be happy you got to the finish and didn't quit despite how you were feeling.  Better luck next time.

kcam

Congrats tahlgren.  NYC's a tough course and to get a 14 minute PR there ... well done.

DonS - it's all good, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat!  Been there with that ugly 2nd half.  Live and learn, right?  Can't wait to see your next one.