Question for DJ steve (you know you're old when...) (Read 314 times)

This is the sort of stuff that goes thru my head plodding along at 155 steps per minute for a couple of hours. I quit paying attention to the progression of club music subgenres about 1993. You have me confused on the definition of Tribal vs. World Music styles. On the mix World Cruise you bill the first half as "having a world music flavor" but then most of the early tracks are what I (my club-music uneducated self) would think of as "Tribal" - i.e. chanting children, witch-doctor/shaman sounding vocals, etc. Then on the new Running to Elysium, you say it has a "Tribal" first half, but all of the tracks progress from jazz sax thru german/mexican accordion to straight up salsa music, and Caribbean sounding vocal samples. Much more what I would call "World flavor". Enrich me on the subtle differences. Is it dependent on what the base beat track is made of, or just a name some dj invented to set himself apart from the others even though they are basically the same? While I have you I would love to hear a mix, even a groovelectric mix, based on what we used to call "alternative club music" in the late 80's & early 90's - i.e. Thrill Kill Cult, Lords of Acid, Front 242, early Ministry, even Depeche Mode. Take me back to when I used to actually dance with my then-girlfriend-now-wife and stay up till 4 AM because it was fun (and not to change diapers) and we could (without taking a nap the day before, and being completely dysfunctional the next day.) Cool