123

Moldy Bread: Pick it off, or toss it all? (Read 228 times)


sugnim

    If you discover some mold growing on your bread, do you pick off the moldy part & eat the bread, or do you throw the bread away?

      I'd toss it, but that's because I have room in my budget for new bread Smile


      just a simple cat

        I just pick the moldy bits off and eat the rest.  I do the same with cheese.   Madame Curie is my inspiration.

        Cool

         

        Running is stupid


        Singer who doesn't run.

          Toss it, because it all seems to taste funny if some of it is moldy.  With cheese, on the other hand, I usually just cut away the mold.

          When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

          skygazer


            For those voted 'Pick off the moldy part, & then eat the bread", are you still alive and well?

            (silly question I know. But I just want to confirm it)

              The mold that you see is the reproductive part of the organism.  It's analogous to cutting off the testicles from a bull.  It can still kick your ass.

                I just pick the moldy bits off and eat the rest.  I do the same with cheese.   Madame Curie is my inspiration.

                Cool

                 

                Is your bread radioactive?

                skygazer


                  The mold that you see is the reproductive part of the organism.  It's analogous to cutting off the testicles from a bull.  It can still kick your ass.

                   

                  if there's only 1 moldy spot you can find on the entire bread (only one testicle, so there ain't many bulls yet), can you pick off the spot and eat the rest of the bread?

                    Bread is very porous and is quickly colonized. If you can see even one small spot of mold than the whole thing is contaminated and should be thrown out. Cheese on the other hand is very dense so its usually safe to cut the moldy spot off.


                    sugnim

                      OK, who chose "Eat the mold?"  Dead

                      skygazer


                        Bread is very porous and is quickly colonized. If you can see even one small spot of mold than the whole thing is contaminated and should be thrown out. Cheese on the other hand is very dense so its usually safe to cut the moldy spot off.

                         

                        So the bread could have been colonized even before 1 moldy spot appears. But it is okay to eat the bread as long as you don't see any moldy spot? Should I always keep my bread in the fridge then (I rather not)?


                        I fly.

                          If I toss it, what should I eat with my moldy cheese?

                          Bring it on.

                            ---- A better question might be:  How many people have already eaten a piece of bread (or part of a piece) only to notice that the loaf is partially green?!?!?!!

                            .

                            The Plan (big parts)→  /// April:  Hampton, VA 24 Hour Run for Cancer (PR 80 Miles) ///  Nov:  New York Marathon  ///  Dec:  Seashore State Park 50K  ///  ∞

                              ---- A better question might be:  How many people have already eaten a piece of bread (or part of a piece) only to notice that the loaf is partially green?!?!?!!

                              .

                               

                              finally, a reasonable question.  That happened just the other day. I wanted to take a wire brush to my tongue.


                              sugnim

                                 

                                finally, a reasonable question.  That happened just the other day. I wanted to take a wire brush to my tongue.

                                 

                                I have a vivid memory of being a child & drinking a can of hot coke & ants.  My mom always told me to clean up after myself, and to put a can of soda back into the refrigerator if I was not going to finish it.  I didn't listen.  One summer day, I went outside with a cold can of coke and sat it down on the table next to one that I had likely left there days earlier.  Ants had crawled into it.  Being a kid, I of course didn't notice any of this.  Not looking, I reached for my cold soda and got a mouth full of flat coke heated by the SoCal summer sun, and full of ants swimming in sugar.  Gag!  That was a hard way to learn the lesson Mom tried to teach me.

                                123