Logging stairs? (Read 77 times)

Chasing the bus

How do you guys log running stairs? I can just do time and total vertical, but it doesnt show up on the summary, which would be nice. I also can't add my shoes as equipment...?

thanks.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
    Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

I do stairs as strength training for a good part of the year. The time it takes me isn't really important, but quality is, so I stopped worrying about how to enter it as an interval-type set. I created a Stairs activity and just enter the details in the notes.

These are the kinds of stairs I'm mostly doing

Stair Running

How I do stairs here is:

race up the first straight set (16 steps) FAST = 1 rep;

jog along the top to the crooked set and jog down;

repeat until I'm on the other side of the gym, directly across from where I started = 10 reps = 1 set

So what I just write in the notes is something like this:

16 x 10 reps x 6 sets (30 sec. rest between) -- if I take a breathing break after a 10-rep set

or

16 x 10 reps x 4 sets single stair

16 x 10 reps x 1 sets double stair (racing up straight set 2 stairs at a time, down is still single -- don't want to die -- too uncoordinated!!)

16 x  2 reps single stair left hop (hopping up straight set single stair at a time on left leg only)

16 x  2 reps double stair left hop (hopping up straight set 2 stairs at a time on left leg only)

16 x  2 reps single stair double hop (hopping up straight set single stair at a time, both legs)

I just make sure whatever I do on one leg, I do the exact same number of stairs and reps on the other leg

Some of my trails have stairs, and I just include them in the run - even if I'm doing repeats or whatever on them. For clarification, the original part had about 100 steps in a staircase. New additions over the last 2 years include 320 crib steps (9 in tall, iirc).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Chasing the bus

I'm back to LHR base building for the winter, so "running" is a bit of an overstatement, given the HR constraints, but I've noticed a loss of strength in the legs and I decided to do something.

I'm mostly just wanting to see it on my summary, and wondering if anyone's got a way.

I'm back to LHR base building for the winter, so "running" is a bit of an overstatement, given the HR constraints, but I've noticed a loss of strength in the legs and I decided to do something.

I'm mostly just wanting to see it on my summary, and wondering if anyone's got a way.

i don't understand what you mean "show up in your summery". i log stair runs as a type of workout (if i walk them it is grunt work. if i am running them it is rocky IV) give it a color and my garmin takes care of the rest as far as miles of stairs and elevations (somewhat) or i just count them. if you mean something else here then i'm sorry for taking up your time.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

If you just treat it as a run, you can get the duration and HR as well as shoe time. The summary table doesn't have vertical info in it, which is a limitation of RA. (I have lots of hills in my normal runs. It doesn't show in the summary, but does show on the maps, if selected.)

FWIW, I use SportTracks as my primary data log. The vertical shows as well as HR zones (not just avg), both of which are important to my training.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Chasing the bus

I see, I think. You guys are graphing it as duration, but since it has no miles, it wont show up in statistics or mileage graphs, of course. I could, I suppose, find the distance (it's just stair run/rise x total alt.), and then I'd have a distance to log...

anyway, thanks!

I see, I think. You guys are graphing it as duration, but since it has no miles, it wont show up in statistics or mileage graphs, of course. I could, I suppose, find the distance (it's just stair run/rise x total alt.), and then I'd have a distance to log...

anyway, thanks!

Yep, that'll work.

The stairs I usually run are part of one of my trails, so I just hit the lap buttons at bottom and top. My gps does the distance and vertical - close enough for logging purposes. One of my races does have steps in it.

When I used to do winter xt class with plyos, machine ckts, etc, I just used duration and HR. some of the initial workouts were around (or snaking across) a 40ftx40ft mat, so I could count laps and multiply by the distance.

For my volume estimates, I used duration (time), although I do keep track of miles just cuz some people want to know that. But most of my runs are on trails, sometimes with a lot of vertical (3000ft in 2.2mi). So distance and pace are a function of terrain.