Best sunscreen for heavy sweaters? (Read 1370 times)

#artbydmcbride

Saddle soap?

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Who needs sunscreen?

NOT me, dude.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

HermosaBoy

El Guapo needed one in Mexico, so I do not think living in Tennessee makes one not need a heavy sweater.

A related question is what type of sunscreen do you need for a leather jacket ?

Jefe -- would you say we have a plethora of options?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Why is it sideways?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

...and does sunscreen reduce the synthesis of vitamin D, and thus have a negative effect to balance against an unproven benefit against skin cancer?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Me neither, much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/10/health/10skin.html

You may be safe from most cancers...but have fun lookin' like a handbag by 45. Wink  My mom has never had a melanoma and actually looks fairly young for her age, but she has several scars on her face from skin cancer spot removal (basal cell carcinoma, I believe).  My MIL has some, also.  Facial scars are ugly.  So are premature wrinkles.

And skin cancer increases one's risks of developing other cancers in the future.  I know my hubby has been told he's at increased risk for developing further melanomas, as well as cancer on any other organ (after all, skin is our largest organ).  That's no small deal.  It's not the sort of thing anyone wants to have hanging over their head from age 38, onward (he lost his father to cancer when the man was in his early 60s...an athletic man in far better than average health for his age).  Every 6 months he has to have a full-body examination...ass crack, between his toes, soles of his feet.  Yep.  He wears sunblock, but he also wears UV protecting arm sleeves, even when it's 120 in Death Valley.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slice

I got serious about sunblock last year when my grandmother, mom, & MIL all had basil cell carcinomas removed and my dad had melanoma removed. I still hate to take the time for lotion though. I think part of my effectiveness problem is that I spray it on and head out right away and don't give it time to dry. If the Neutrogena doesn't help my feeling like a human fly cicada trap, I'll try the lotion. One of those nasty f'ers briefly stuck on my chest yesterday. I nearly wrecked my bike because of it. Shocked Rather than using a sweater maybe I should just run in a full bee keeper suit.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The lotion is really a lot less nasty than the spray.  I know the spray takes less time to apply and is easier to reapply once you're all sweaty and covered in road grime, but it feels so much like you're making yourself into Human flypaper.  The other thing I notice with the spray is that road grime is REALLY tough to get off without scrubbing the shit outta your shins.  This was my legs after one of my longer rides last Summer...getting that damned spray and the embedded grime off took a lot of work:

But my legs were still pretty pasty for early July.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

tomatolover

so back to the original question...

I've been using Ulta MD 50 sport on my face for a year now...i like it, as it doesn't run into my eyes, doesn't make me break out, and I think works even through my facial sweating during the summer.  In fact, I wear it everyday, even if i'm not out running, as it's not greasy..  Con: It's pricey ($22/tube) and I've only ever seen it at the derm but i think you can get it online @ amazon

Stacks

There is a line of sprays by Kinesys which are excellent.  I don't think they have been all that successful at penetrating the US market to date, but if you see some it is the best I have used.  We can get them in Canada for about $13-14 for a four ounce bottle.  Not sure about the US, though the mail order prices look a bit steep at $18...

They differ from most of the other spray sunscreens around in that there are no propellants -- the product is delivered by finger pumps.

I use this stuff here:  http://www.kinesysstore.com/DisplayProducts.asp?criteria=16133.  It goes on easy with the spray, doesn't feel greasy, and seems to stay on through pretty much anything.

They have a "tested by athletes, for athletes" slogan thing going, they have a bunch of athlete endorsements, and judging from their website they seem to be marketing the product to triathletes and other outdoor athlete types (for whatever that's worth).

If you can find it, might be worth a try.

I look my best blurry!

You may be safe from most cancers...but have fun lookin' like a handbag by 45.

Hey!  I resemble that comment!

dennrunner

Anyone want to recommend their favorite sunscreen or give a heads up if you hate yours? I currently use a Coppertone Sport spray one and it seems to just work okay. I already learned that the Walgreens brand is worse. I'm already getting a Garmin tan line and it ain't pretty. And it leaves my skin sticky feeling. I'm not always able to shower right away so I end up feeling all gross until I'm able to shower.

I understand how you no longer want a sunscreen for your sweater, but I still don't understand how your Garmin tan line leaves your skin feeling sticky.

Riemanns P10 or P20 (SPF 10 or 20 respectively). It's a liquid? Dries quickly, stays on all day*, and is pretty hard to sweat off. I'm not a heavy sweater but I know a couple of people who are and swear by it. I also see little point in anything more than SPF 20, if you want to block the sun's rays completely, just stay indoors Wink

* All day means about 10 hours according to manufacturer's instructions.

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!