Training for my first marathon (Read 85 times)

So I am somewhat of a newish runner. I have been running for about 18 months. My first marathon is coming up in 8 weeks and I am wondering if it's going to happen or not. I have been fighting an IT injury for about 6 weeks. It was only bothering me on long runs, but recently was affecting me on shorter runs. I took 2 weeks off totally from running to rest it. I have been doing hip and glute strengthening, stretching, and physical therapy. At this point I am wondering where and how to pick up my training from here. My longest run was 19 miles on 11/30. I went out for 4 miles yesterday after my 2 week rest and was successful. My plan is to run 8 miles this weekend.

Then my long runs after 12, 16, 18, 20 and then a 3 week taper. Assuming no more IT band pain, does this look like a doable plan to successfully cross the finish line?? Other thoughts or ideas? Race day is 2/23/14

an amazing likeness

I believe the total volume of your miles will matter more than the distance of your long runs.  If you can run steady miles, each and every day, that's more important than the long run distances.

But you *must* stay out of IT band hell, so as soon as it starts hurting, stop. Right then. Do NOT try to run through it...you'll only delay the healing.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

NHLA

Open log so we can see miles run or how many mpw have you been running?

2 weeks off   short run & no pain  yea.

Your plan looks fine to me. 16 miles is long enough and you will be there in 2 weeks..

I was running between 20-25 miles per week but some weeks were less as I was trying to rest my dang IT band. I'm kinda worried my weekly total miles have been slacking too much though. Looking back December running in general was pretty bad. I haven't had any decent weekly mileage all month :-( Although I don't care about pace or time, I just want to cross that finish line.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, you need about six more of those 25 mile weeks, but at a very easy pace.  Forget about speed, and forget about any runs longer than a couple of hours.  If your IT band can't handle that, then you might go to a run-walk strategy, a la Galloway.  Good luck!