So who has the Garmin 405? (Read 573 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I have a question about it. I know that unlike the 305 there is no auto-multisport function. How much effort does it take to switch from biking to running? A manual switch for the 305 is pretty simple, is it as simple, or hopefully more simple, with the 405? Thanks!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

I have the 405. The menu functions are very much the same from 405-305. You go - TRAINING - OPTIONS - SPORT MODE. Now, actually doing this takes a little getting used to, because you're doing it with the bezel instead of buttons, but the good news is the menu structure is pretty much the same.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I have the 405. The menu functions are very much the same from 405-305. You go - TRAINING - OPTIONS - SPORT MODE. Now, actually doing this takes a little getting used to, because you're doing it with the bezel instead of buttons, but the good news is the menu structure is pretty much the same.
        Marcus, How about the gps receiver sensitivity? Would it be good enough in a forest, or does it take ages for find the location when you turn it on? -lafoca
          Marcus, How about the gps receiver sensitivity? Would it be good enough in a forest, or does it take ages for find the location when you turn it on? -lafoca
          I'm finding it to be mostly comparable to the 305, which I found to be pretty good. I run a fair amount of trails in the woods and when I did a common course last week that I always felt the 305 was missing by about the tenth, the 405 caught the extra tenth (over six miles). This weekend, I raced the same trails, though, and the accuracy was off a bit more, but I find that to be the case when I'm moving a higher speed. Some reports say the 405 is much quicker to pick up GPS signals and some days it is, but in general I'd say it's GPS power is pretty comparable to the 305. (less than a minute) I only got the 405 because my 305 died two weeks ago.... it's a much sleeker machine - smaller, lighter and "cooler" - but as far as functionality, it's pretty much the same thing.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Former runner

The one thing I find annoying about switching modes on my 405 is that you have to change the pace to speed in addition to changing modes. I have two screens setup, one for pace information and another for HR information. When I switch from running to cycling I have to edit the pace screen so that I can see my speed in MPH instead of minutes/mile. I don't think it has any effect on the data uploaded to the computer though.

Ross