Well that just kinda sucked (Read 620 times)

Lots of tropical weather here in Greater Boston this week. Hot, humid and t-storms every day. Some parts of the state got 3 inches of rain overnight - just torrential rain. Thought I had a window this morning to get my 5 mile steady run in. A light rain is better than the dreadmill. I thought I even saw a little sun peeking out. But less than a mile in, the sky opened up and it came down in sheets. "It's OK", I thought. "I remembered the Glide so my nipples will be alright. You can just run through it and it'll pass." Then the flash and then the thunder. So, 180 degree turn and my easy/steady 5 miler turned into a 2.8 mile tempo run with a sprint for the last 1/4 mile. A minute after I got in the house there was a bright flash and loud crack of thunder that woke my kids up. My wife was happy to see that I was in the house. This after 10 people were hurt - 4 critically - by a lightning strike in Boston Sunday, about 15 miles from my house. Ah well, run a little longer tomorrow I guess - that is if my stuff dries by then. Roll eyes

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Glad you made it home safely. I heard that story about the people injured...scary stuff! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, I'm glad you're OK. Two people were killed in Standish, Maine last week by lightning - hour and a half north of Boston. The young woman had been married only two weeks.
        redleaf

Gosh - glad you made it back inside in time!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Fool

Went out yesterday, just North of Boston. It went from a drizzle to a torrent in 5 minutes. By the time I made my first loop, I realized there was no way I could get any more wet - so I ran the planned second loop. The occasional lightnig and thunder were fairly exciting. If I get zapped, make sure my wife has 'HTFU' on my tombstone. I figure when the great coach in the sky tells me to hang up my towel, I've got little say in the matter anyways.
              We have had a really wild Spring and Summer in Boston, I can't remember so many thunderstorms in one year. I'm shocked that I've only had to reschedule two runs, my luck has been inexplicably good. Yesterday, I got home from walking the dog and was going to head out in a light rain. I was just about to head out when I heard thunder. Checked weather.com, some of the Boston TV station websites, and caught a forecast that said storms throughout the evening. I decided I would have to reschedule to today, and sat down to dinner. After eating, the sky cleared and the sun actually came out. I took a look at the horizon, and decided to try to sneak a couple of miles in. Running with a full stomach wasn't great, but I wound up completing my scheduled run and tacking on an extra mile with loops around my block before the storms started up again. I can't explain my good fortune, I'm glad you were lucky too on your dash to safety.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'm from CT and the weather has been the same here. Tuesday night I was going to do a 5 miler. Got my warm up and my stretching done and then it started to rain. I said what the heck I'm going anyway. A 1/4 mile in it started to pour. I needed to get a run in, so I said "F" it I'll just run the loop which is 3.1 K and so I stuck it out and ran. I mean at that point I was already soaked. I don't normally run in the rain unless it's a light rain and if I hadn't already done my warm-up and stretching I wouldn't have run then. I did manage to get my run in without rain last night, but it poured all night long afterwards. Forcast for rain most of today again as well. Can we catch a break? LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

We have had a really wild Spring and Summer in Boston, I can't remember so many thunderstorms in one year. I'm shocked that I've only had to reschedule two runs, my luck has been inexplicably good.
                  Yeah, my luck has been great until this morning too. That's the first run that's been interrupted by severe weather. I'm a morning runner so it's usually quiet then. Storms are in the afternoon. Rare to get one in the morning like that. But man are we getting it today. Wind, rain and a tornado touched down in southern New Hampshire. Haven't had to water the garden in a week.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I had to cut my last run short due to lightning. Two flashes on opposite sides of me seconds apart. I was just short of 3/4 mile and within 30 seconds of walking in my front door, it was a full thunderstorm with a ton of rain and lots of lightning. I'll run in heat and cold, wind or rain, but I don't run in lightning. I hope you have a great run tomorrow to make up for this one cut short!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Get back up!

Lots of tropical weather here in Greater Boston this week. Hot, humid and t-storms every day. Some parts of the state got 3 inches of rain overnight - just torrential rain. Thought I had a window this morning to get my 5 mile steady run in. A light rain is better than the dreadmill. I thought I even saw a little sun peeking out. But less than a mile in, the sky opened up and it came down in sheets. "It's OK", I thought. "I remembered the Glide so my nipples will be alright. You can just run through it and it'll pass." Then the flash and then the thunder. So, 180 degree turn and my easy/steady 5 miler turned into a 2.8 mile tempo run with a sprint for the last 1/4 mile. A minute after I got in the house there was a bright flash and loud crack of thunder that woke my kids up. My wife was happy to see that I was in the house. This after 10 people were hurt - 4 critically - by a lightning strike in Boston Sunday, about 15 miles from my house. Ah well, run a little longer tomorrow I guess - that is if my stuff dries by then. Roll eyes
                      There were a few injuries due to lightening strikes around here (suburban philadelphia) as well last night. I decided just to switch up a rest day and stay inside since it looked pretty dangerous from the time I got home from work 7pm until I fell asleep. I really wouldn't have minded running in the rain yesterday, might feel nice after the ridiculous heat recently, but thunderstorms are a different story. Glad you made it in safely
                      Live your heart and never follow.
                      mattw1970

Injured

I was one of the nuts in thr Philly burbs who was stuck out in that mess last night. Shocked The lightning was a little too close for my liking. turned my 6 mile recovery run into 4 miles recovery with 2 FAST TEMPO trying to outrun the lightning. not fun.
                        INJURED
                          Mother Nature wasn't playing nicely yesterday. I switched from a track workout to an indoor run on the treadmill.

Michelle

Sounds like everyone is getting the same thing. I just looked out the window and see a clearing, so I'm out of here for the night and heading for a run. LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"