Rest day or no? (Read 851 times)

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to running, but am trying to get more dedicated this year...without getting injured. Yesterday was my long run, and I was planning to rest today, but now I'm feeling motivated and am worried that if I skip today I might not be motivated tomorrow! Similarly, I was running VERY slowly on the treadmill yesterday, and made myself stop at 4 miles because I generally don't run more than 3, and only did 4 once before....but I could've kept going, and I was SO tempted to see how far I could've gone. Is this something runners do - force themselves to stop even though they feel okay, to prevent overdoing it? And how important is the timing of rest days?
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm not a long-time runner, and I'm sure some of them will reply. Last summer I was limiting myself to every other day running, to ensure enough rest. Now that I'm trying to get ready for a marathon, I'm up to 4-5 times a week, but I'm still taking off the day after my long run. I've seen people suggest doing a recovery run instead of a day off -- a slow short run, that is much less than one could do, I think -- but for now I'm sticking with taking an entire day off after long.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Listen to your body. If you feel good, go ahead and run. At least that's what I try to do. My foot has been telling me it hurts too much to run, so although I don't like it, I'm trying to listen. Tongue
        Scout7

Rest days are different for different people. Some people benefit from a full day off. Others benefit from just going short and easy. I find that my days off are forced on me by other things at this point. After looking at your logs, I think your biggest concern right now should be to focus on getting into a consistent pattern of running. Start by trying to run 4 times a week. Nothing fancy, just go out at an easy pace, and enjoy yourself. How you measure the run is up to you (I like distance, others prefer time). Each week, you increase how much you run. A good starting point is to increase about 10%. I saw you had "Intervals" in your log. What does that mean? If we're talking about a higher intensity run, then I would recommend cutting those out for now. There will be plenty of time later on down the road for that. Intervals are like icing on the cake. But you need a cake first. All of this is probably not quite what you were looking for, but hey.
            No, this is great! Thanks everyone! For my so-called "intervals," it's just treadmill runs where I alternate speed and/or incline...but I never get faster than 6.0. It's mostly just to deal with boredom, more than anything. I certainly haven't been consistent with running, and that's one of my main goals for 2008. So thanks for the feedback!
              Running is supposed to be fun and feel good (mostly) so I'm in favor of going for it. Before you do though, just be aware that if you do a lot more than you are used to it will catch up with you. That doesn't mean you should avoid the extra run, just be ready to feel a bit beat up a few days down the road.

-------------------------------------
              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Always follow a hard day with an easy or rest day. Long runs and any type of speed work should be considered as hard days and easy days include runs that are slower and shorter than normal or include cross training. Taking it easy the day after will allow your body to repair the inevitable damage that occurs from runs that are more intense than normal. It doesn't always work to listen to your body because as a new runner, you don't have the experience to know what your body is telling you. This is also why the so called 10% rule is appropriate for new runners. Tom
                  I think I'm leaning towards just an easy short run - but is it better to cross train? How important is that anyway? Sometimes I'll do the bike but I think that's *really* boring, I hate the elliptical, if I'm feeling really lazy I'll sometimes walk - but nothing makes me feel as good as running, so I always want to do that more than anything else!
                    I think I'm leaning towards just an easy short run - but is it better to cross train? How important is that anyway? Sometimes I'll do the bike but I think that's *really* boring, I hate the elliptical, if I'm feeling really lazy I'll sometimes walk - but nothing makes me feel as good as running, so I always want to do that more than anything else!
                    I'd go with the easy short run, especially if you like it. I believe it's better than the alternatives. The more often you can run the better. Cross training can be useful I suppose, especially as an injury preventive, but I'd be a hypocrite to say that it is of critcial importance. My feeling is that someone who isn't very injury prone can get by with very little. Core exercises are probably the most useful to runners, and have long been on my should list. For dealilng with minor injuries or low-impact supplement to running I'd go with the hated elliptical. It's a much better alternative for runners than the bike. Fwiw, I just run. It's what I like most. I only cross train if I get hurt, which thankfully hasn't been very often.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Renee the dog

When I started running 3 years ago, I found it hard to be consistent. Then, I put a race on the calendar and built a schedule to insure that I'd be trained enough to have a good time at the race. I use a spreadsheet, but a calendar, piece of paper, whatever, is good. There's no question now as to when I'm running or how far. It's all worked out. My only spontaneity is where I go when I get out the door. I have 3 races on my schedule for this year, and I usually have 4. I can't wait to figure out what my fall race will be! Big grin Maybe this approach would help you as well. You're never too new to run a race! I ran my first 5K 8 weeks after I started running consistently, and it was the first time I hit that mileage (or kilometerage). It was GREAT!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

gracerunner

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to running, but am trying to get more dedicated this year...without getting injured. Yesterday was my long run, and I was planning to rest today, but now I'm feeling motivated and am worried that if I skip today I might not be motivated tomorrow! ?
                        That is the worst thinking you can ever fall into. Rest. Live today. Don't worry about tomorrow. If you absolutely have to do something, then take a walk. That's what Japanese elites do. I like walking, too. Rest, dammit! Trust.
                          I don't have a lot of history with running, but I do have a lot of history with injuries Smile I would recommend until you get your base, make sure you rest. There is plenty of time to up the miles and up the days. Everytime I tried to do that early on left me hurting if not actually injured. I still consider myself new to running as I have only been running about 11 months. I am training for my first Half Marathon which is just a few weeks away, and I just now started running more than every other day. Ultimately listen to your body, but be careful, overdoing it now can easily lead to injury and then you will lose all motivation!
                          "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                          My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com