bitchin' half marathon recovery (Read 824 times)

ilp

Ran the Manchester City Half Marathon in 1:50:32, wrecking my old BAA Half Marathon PR (from last year) by almost 13 minutes. Excellent come back after getting pneumonia/bronchitis 3 weeks prior to the BAA Half this year and running that at 2:06 (3 mins slower than PR) with stomach issues.

I am not quite back to my earlier pre-sickness fitness (5k speed down to 7:40 from 7:18 earlier this year), but hell, I exited the year with a half marathon PR! Wicked!

Psyched for a great performance. What a great race too, a nice scenic trail section, great cool weather, lots of people cheering everywhere! And I felt great too (probably left a little bit in the tank towards the end).

So now I have a 5K left to run in December and then no goal races in mind. Any suggestions on how to best spend the winter? Lots of base miles? Or keep up some speed work?

an amazing likeness

Assume you mean Manchester NH ?  If so, how was the course?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

Any suggestions on how to best spend the winter? Lots of base miles? Or keep up some speed work?

Both.  Just keep volume of quality/speed work down. You don't want to completely eliminate a little faster running.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

ilp

Assume you mean Manchester NH ?  If so, how was the course?

Yes, Manchester NH.

I really liked the course (half marathon). It was hilly enough to be interesting, but no crazy "whoa uphill". There was a very strong downhill towards the finish--I ran like hell down that. There was an awesome trail section in the middle (mile 7 or so I believe), with a lake on the side. The only downside to the course was a section (probably around miles 9-10) that ran under highway overpasses--that was kinda lame/dreary.

A friend of mine ran the full marathon and she said that the 2nd half of the course was "ridiculous" (hill-wise).