Transitioning from Running indoor to being back outdoors (Read 113 times)

ckerr1999

For the entire winter I ran on an indoor rubberized track. My weekly mileage was in the 45-48 mile range with my long run topping out at 15 miles. Last week I didn't run, as I was sick the whole week, and then eased back into my running routine this week. Yesterday I went for a 10 mile run outside on concrete (not 100% better yet so couldn't do my normal 15 miles) but today my legs are really sore. Much more sorer then normal. I am thinking it is transitioning from a rubber track back to hard pavement. I was worried about running on a rubberized track all winter, but with the winter we have had and the snow and ice outside I had no choice. Any suggestions? Thanks

Feeling the growl again

Just don't push increases until the soreness goes away.  It's normal.  A few days and you'll be fine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Latent Runner

For the entire winter I ran on an indoor rubberized track. My weekly mileage was in the 45-48 mile range with my long run topping out at 15 miles. Last week I didn't run, as I was sick the whole week, and then eased back into my running routine this week. Yesterday I went for a 10 mile run outside on concrete (not 100% better yet so couldn't do my normal 15 miles) but today my legs are really sore. Much more sorer then normal. I am thinking it is transitioning from a rubber track back to hard pavement. I was worried about running on a rubberized track all winter, but with the winter we have had and the snow and ice outside I had no choice. Any suggestions? Thanks

Maybe the same, maybe not...

I'm a trail runner that made a gradual (and only partial) transition to running on roads since last July.  Even now, after well over 500 road miles in the last 7 months, a 10-12 mile run on the roads will make my muscles and joints much more sore than a 17 mile run on a dirt (or snow and ice covered) trail.  Part of the issue is that I'm probably running a bit faster on the roads, however, my bet is that the bulk of the extra soreness is due to the much higher impact levels the body needs to endure when running on pavement.

As for how to get your body reconditioned to road work, I would say, more road work.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Walk-Jogger

No suggestions, but this is a very timely thread for me. I just ran outside today, for the very first time since January 1st.  I was tempted to do a long flat run, but decided it might make more sense to keep it shorter, so I did a very hilly 10K on concrete and asphalt. I've also been running indoors on a rubberized and very flat track like you, so we'll see how sore I am tomorrow.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

No suggestions, but this is a very timely thread for me. I just ran outside today, for the very first time since January 1st.  I was tempted to do a long flat run, but decided it might make more sense to keep it shorter, so I did a very hilly 10K on concrete and asphalt. I've also been running indoors on a rubberized and very flat track like you, so we'll see how sore I am tomorrow.

Yeah, today was my first significant run off a treadmill all year.  It was "interesting".  But one adapts relatively quickly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Walk-Jogger

Glad to hear it Spaniel! So are you getting healed up?

Retired &  Loving It

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have been running mostly on trails.

Thur I ran five on the road and my knees hurt all over.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Feeling the growl again

Glad to hear it Spaniel! So are you getting healed up?

My hip aches occasionally, the cause is sitting too much, not running.  I'm now spending the first hour of my work day, three days a week, at a treadmill desk to help with that.

My pitiful log is more a function of a) apathetic motivation, and b) difficulty getting a good schedule nailed down.

I really, REALLY need to start logging 80% of my miles either before work or at lunch.  If I wait until I get home, there is just not enough time to get stuff done with the 3 little ones growing up and getting busier.

I am currently slow as snot, but the fire is not snuffed out yet.