Need to vent!!!!! (Read 943 times)

SMART Approach

Kenny, Yes steroid injections do gradually degrade hyaline cartilage and give temporary benefit. Injected HA has a totally different mechanism of action and actually preserves cartilage. Supartz is FDA indicated to treat Knee OA. 5 clinical studies shows it works 34% better than placebo and insurance pays up 6 months. And safe as saline. Randy Johnson attributes Supartz to saving his career. It works. Trent, what you inject in knee is out of knee within 2-3 days. The reason people get pain relief for 6-12 months is because of increased endogenous production of HA.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Agreed re: steroid injections degrading the knee (I missed that in the original post).
      JakeKnight

I believe the stat is that runners are 20% less likely to develop arthritis than non runners. Yes, because runners generally are not overweight.
        That's a pretty important point. No - running isn't bad for your joints, assuming you're healthy. It's good for your joints. But it *is* a high-impact exercise, and if you are significantly overweight, it can obviously hurt your joints if you're not careful. Heavier runners need to go easy while they lose the weight.
        Agreed re: steroid injections degrading the knee (I missed that in the original post).
        Says the guy who injects steroids into his giants cows calves.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

I started running a year ago with all kinds of knee aches and pains that threatened my ambition. I just kept going, got stronger, and have just a twinge now and again. I assume muscle strength and conditioning improved the whole body's performance and minimizes any potential weak points (my knee). I dislocated it a few times 15 years ago and figured I'd never be a runner - but here I am, arranging my life around my running schedule. Keep running, stay strong.