The Great Run Thread (Read 1535 times)

Beware, batbear...

Man I had a great run today.  It was a long run and I felt a little sluggish today starting off.  I was supposed to run this run yesterday, but on Saturday I ran my easy run and then added a swim with quite a bit of kickboard later in the day and felt sore on Sunday so I thought it best to put it off a day as I knew I was getting off work early.  

So I headed toward the trails near my house.   It's a pretty decent uphill followed by punishing uphills all the way out.  I ran that for about 40 minutes and then turned around.  The downhill felt marvelous.  Landing light, sun starting to set, mountains cool.  I got back down toward relatively level ground and asphalt and felt GREAT the entire way home.  

Awesome!  

I know they won't all be like that, but I've had enough setbacks, crap runs, and plenty of just regular ol' miles to be happy about this one.  

Peace and miles, my friends.  Wink

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

tenacity

I had a nice one on Sunday, too. First long run since, oh, I don't know... July 2011? 20 mile trail run, 50 degrees, partly sunny, with three friends, a herd of deer, and a herd of mountain goats, various hawks and waterfowl along the Deschutes River in Oregon. It was crazy good.

Sounds excellent Batensmack. I had a similar experience on a long run yesterday.

Usually my long runs are on an 11 mile route but for some reason this week I felt compelled to go for 13 on a route that is fairly new to me. I was busy all afternoon so I got a late start and would have to run in the dark for most of it but I decided to go for it since it was on low traffic highways and country roads. After running the first leg into the sunset, I turned into a slight breeze on a wide open country road. I live smack dab in the middle town so it was nice to get away from the light pollution and see a few stars punctuating the landscape of the wind farms at dusk, I really wish I had a camera with me. Despite the distance, I felt oddly strong and fast throughout most of the run. I think I slowed down slightly in the last couple miles but by the time I got back into town I was still breathing easy and my legs felt fresh.

There were a few cars that bothered me when they left on the high beams but aside from that I can't say enough praise for this run.  

Carousel

Talk about a great run! Today was fantastic. Cool  I was really nervous about the new route I mapped out on the internet.  It was a full 6miles, and I was hoping to make it in under an hour.  My legs were not feeling very limber after the first few steps, so i had to slow down to a walk for about 3 minutes.  But after that it was all systems go! I was clipping off 9:15 miles when my MP3 player died.  Usually I would be pretty flustered, throwing me off my pace, but today was so beautiful that it didn't bother me in the slightest!  I actually sped up!!!!!! Before i knew it, i was running in the 9 flat range!  I certainly started to feel it with a couple miles to go, but I still managed to break the one hour barrier!  Big grin  Only took a couple sips from my water belt and didn't even need all of my GU! 

I would like to have runs like this more often! I'm planning on incorporating a new kettle bell routine.  Also, anyone know of a good speed workout that I could do? (paces would be appreciated) Smile

Talk about a great run! Today was fantastic. Cool  I was really nervous about the new route I mapped out on the internet.  It was a full 6miles, and I was hoping to make it in under an hour.  My legs were not feeling very limber after the first few steps, so i had to slow down to a walk for about 3 minutes.  But after that it was all systems go! I was clipping off 9:15 miles when my MP3 player died.  Usually I would be pretty flustered, throwing me off my pace, but today was so beautiful that it didn't bother me in the slightest!  I actually sped up!!!!!! Before i knew it, i was running in the 9 flat range!  I certainly started to feel it with a couple miles to go, but I still managed to break the one hour barrier!  Big grin  Only took a couple sips from my water belt and didn't even need all of my GU! 

I would like to have runs like this more often! I'm planning on incorporating a new kettle bell routine.  Also, anyone know of a good speed workout that I could do? (paces would be appreciated) Smile

O.O What am I missing here?!

From the looks of your log I don't get the impression that 9:00 pace is particularly scary for you....

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

O.O What am I missing here?!

From the looks of your log I don't get the impression that 9:00 pace is particularly scary for you....

Seems tongue in cheek to me.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Oh roo roooo!

Seems tongue in cheek to me.

Yes, especially this:  "Only took a couple sips from my water belt and didn't even need all of my GU!"  For a 6-miler? 

ultramarathon/triathlete

Great run this weekend too!  I've set out to do a marathon a month in 2012.  I took it easy last week mostly doing gym work and staying off the treadmill because of an achy knee.

Saturday I met up with my Kiwi buddy and we did a comfy 16.5, then I dropped him off at home, my wife joined me wife and we ran a few more miles before she ducked out and I decided to add another few miles to hit that marathon for Feb.  Ended up with 27 of the most comfortable miles ever!  I could have kept going!  Feb marathon done!  Knee feeling great! 

I need more balmy weekends!  48 degrees and sunny in NYC in Feb?!!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

this thread is really helping my mojo this am.  planning on a hard (for me, anyway ha ha) wo today since have the day off.   but sitting here enjoying  my toast & coffee relaxing & looking out the window.   we are just getting totally hammered with rain & wind & will continue pretty much all day!    but going to get it done before the day is out, promise.   thanks everyone!

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive (again monster for me anyway) or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange.

my most enjoyable days running almost always occur doing trail runs in the quiet & nobody around with only the sounds of animals squirrleying about in the bushes or the sightings of a deer or even coyotes.  bliss 

Am I doing this right?

The way I took it is he is making fun of people that can't run 6 min miles, like to plan out routes before hand, do any sort of weight lifting, or listen to music while running.  

Basically, if you're not elite he/she doesn't have time for you.

Surprised there was nothing in there about a treadmill.

No excuses....

I think that was a little too much celebrating for President's Day, Bugz.  Really, Monday night? 

Lighten up on the brewskies and wiskeys and enjoy the company of others here on RA.

Smile
                        Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Bugz, may I recommend that you try posting this kind of humor at letsrun.com?  Lots more appreciation over there for bashing of hobby joggers like us (a group that I think includes anyone who doesn't get paid to run). 

One of the great things about this site is the support for people at all levels of ability and their efforts to get better.  After all, unless your 5K PR is under 13:00 or your marathon is better than 2:10, your efforts matter exactly as much as those of a 9, 10, 11 or 12 minute miler.

It's possible Bugz just had a bad race at the Patriot League Championships.

MTA:  Awww, man.  What happened to Bugz's log?

Anyway, my run today was great.  It was only four miles and I was done by 5:45 this morning.  I didn't have to worry about running for the rest of the day.  Hooray!  It feels so good to have a down week.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

vegefrog

Batensmack I'm glad you had a great run!!

Those days when everything falls into place and you just feel like you are meant to be out there running make all the not-so-great days worth it Smile

5 hours later & still getting hammered by the rain.   guess the 1st step is to get running gear on & after that one foot out the door.  at least I can avoid working on tax return awhile longer.   ok so here it goes