2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

Tahlgren - will keep an eye out for you.  I'll be in a bright yellow Wellington Scottish singlet.  

Final decision is that I won't be attempting a sub 3, will be hoping for something around 3.05-3.10 given how everything has gone.  But I will be back to try again next year.  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re: sub-3 during a 50mi attempt. That's funny.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Given my >>3hr time due to cramping at Boston and not running a fall marathon due to lack of conditioning, I did not think I'd post a sub-3 this year.  However I saw my Garmin click over to 26.2 miles in the low 2:59s during my 50-mile attempt this morning.  The course markers said I had passed 26.2 a couple minutes before that, so either way I did manage to log a sub-3 in 2010.

Congrats! How did the 50 go and which race? If you maintained that pace for 50 miles that must have been a nice race time!

Feeling the growl again

Congrats! How did the 50 go and which race? If you maintained that pace for 50 miles that must have been a nice race time!

Des plaines ultra north of Chicago. I was seriously under trained. I did not feel I was in shape to do a decent marathon this fall so I tried this stunt instead. Felt great throughout but had a knee issue just before 30 miles and dropped out at 37 to spare it further grief. It was my first ultra attempt so I learned a lot and will try again next year....with more than 40ish mpw of training lacking long runs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

re: sub-3 during a 50mi attempt. That's funny.

Yeah. But Yiannis Kouros ran a sub-3 marathon on the way to his 100 miles in 11:46:37.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah. But Yiannis Kouros ran a sub-3 marathon on the way to his 100 miles in 11:46:37.

But Kouros is immortal.

Spaniel is mostly mortal. Although, who knows, if he actually got in serious training before his next ultra, we could see something exciting.

Des plaines ultra north of Chicago. I was seriously under trained. I did not feel I was in shape to do a decent marathon this fall so I tried this stunt instead. Felt great throughout but had a knee issue just before 30 miles and dropped out at 37 to spare it further grief. It was my first ultra attempt so I learned a lot and will try again next year....with more than 40ish mpw of training lacking long runs.

The DPR trail is about 15 miles from where I live. Sorry to hear about the knee. If you do it again let me know, I could help crew if you need it.

Kouroi also did it in his 24 hour world record. That is just insane!
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Kouroi also did it in his 24 hour world record. That is just insane!

Kouroi is the plural, I guess Smile

Feeling the growl again

Now that is impressive.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

I think if you did normal marathon training and 1 - 4-5 hour run a month you would be amazed at how well you could do both.  The 4-5 hour run is done at recovery pace to the easy end of easy pace.  I actually feel like I get a boost in marathon training about 4 weeks post long (30-40 mile) run.

Heck next year I want to go after everything from 5k-Marathathon-50k - 24 hour (Maybe not a 50 miler though)

I like this plan.  I would like to be in good enough shape that I could run a decent 50 miler if one came up out of the blue.  What I struggle with is trying to balance wanting to run more 50s next year with wanting to see if I could break the 2:50 barrier.  I'm not sure I'll be successful if I try to do both. 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be signing up for New York next year since the guaranteed entry times are going down to 2:45 for open in 2013...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I think if you did normal marathon training and 1 - 4-5 hour run a month you would be amazed at how well you could do both.  The 4-5 hour run is done at recovery pace to the easy end of easy pace.  I actually feel like I get a boost in marathon training about 4 weeks post long (30-40 mile) run.

Heck next year I want to go after everything from 5k-Marathathon-50k - 24 hour (Maybe not a 50 miler though)

Plus 30+ mile runs are just plain refreshing.  Nothing like that feeling at 26 miles when the adrenaline kicks in.   My problem is I tend to run these too fast because it is just more enjoyable to run at a faster easy pace than recovery pace and as expected my legs are tired most of the week...

Feeling the growl again

Plus 30+ mile runs are just plain refreshing. 

Now that's just crazy talk...guess I'm about to go crazy more and more.

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, particularly with regard to how you train.  I have afeeling my competitive future lies in the marathon-and-up distances...

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Feeling the growl again

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, particularly with regard to how you train.  I have afeeling my competitive future lies in the marathon-and-up distances...

Thanks....assuming training does not get derailed I will be taking the hybrid approach....most of my training will not change but my long runs are going to get interesting.

As soon as I am confident I am recovered here I am going to try to institute a BIG life change....force myself to run the majority of my mileage at 5-5:30am so it does not disrupt family life so much.  If I can make the transition, my mileage should increase significantly.