Fitness Loss in 6 Weeks? (Read 710 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks to that I am currently in a long arm cast with orders to do NOTHING (not even recumbent "nowhere bike") until at least the new year, when I might get a short arm cast with waterproof liner that would allow sweating and showering.

<---

So I might be totally off of all activity for 5-6 weeks.  Hopefully no longer than that...I might have to punch the ortho with my good arm if that is the case.

My fitness this Fall has already been beaten down by a couple weeks of lower back Hell followed by lower respiratory evil.  I'm also dreading serious loss of hand and arm strength, which could put a serious damper on mountain bike and cyclocross racing plans for '13. Sad I am registered for a HM in early April and maybe another 6 days later...kinda expecting those to be death marches.

On the bright side, it's really easy to lose weight when bonking is of no concern.  I'm already making eyes at my skinny jeans/pants. 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Village people

Pnhntr, over in L&O was in a cast for weeks. He has bounced back to some crazy miles. Hopefully, he or someone else will chime in with stories to give you some hope. Sorry about the arm.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Ugh! So sorry you're broken! At least those skinny jeans will give you something to look forward to while you're on the mend!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, that gives me hope.  In the month or so prior to crash I was logging ~10-12 miles/week of running and 50 or so on the bike...about half or third of the minimum miles I put in on the bike in a typical week during the summer.  I will be happy if I can start back at 7-8 miles in a week on-foot, at this rate. Blush

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ugh! So sorry you're broken! At least those skinny jeans will give you something to look forward to while you're on the mend!

Yup!  It's gonna get $$ when I have to downsize all my bras, undies, and cycling bottoms (at $100+ a pop for those)...I already warned DH!

~ Sarah Kay

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I took 5 weeks off earlier this summer.  I paced for 12 hours at Sawtooth Superior 100 a month after my first day back.  A few weeks after that I was running 50mpw again.  However, I'm back to being injured.  I tried to come back too quickly.  My cardio came back fast, but I just felt tired after my runs for a while.  Normally a nice 7-8 miler would be invigorating, but they left me exhausted. 

Running is dumb.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My cardio came back fast, but I just felt tired after my runs for a while.  Normally a nice 7-8 miler would be invigorating, but they left me exhausted. 

This is sort of what I'm expecting...that my lungs will know what to do, but my muscles/endurance will take more time to recover.  I expect my right arm/hand will really be deal-breakers for a while on the bike.  On the bright side, riding outdoors will be pretty sucky until close to April.  Hopefully in that time I will be able to rebuild some strength while on the trainer.  Braking and shifting will likely be things I won't be able to do for a while.  Fortunately, my plans were to focus on running through early April.  I may be running my planned 1-2 HMs simply to finish, which is fine.  I wasn't really shooting for PRs, anyhow. 

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

When you're cleared to start some workouts, steady-state walking on a treadmill set for a hefty incline for 45 - 60 minutes will really help the aerobic come back quickly.  Only the actual running or biking will get the muscle fitness back.  That's been my experience -- I can get the lungs back with treadmill or elliptical work, but not the legs.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

camille2

I've had several times when I've had to be off for a while, including once for a broken arm.  I've found I do lose fitness, but not as much as I expected.  I'd start easy and be able to get back to normal after about 6 weeks.  I'm not typically a high milage runner though. 20's to 30, usu.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

These stories seriously made my week!  Tomorrow my new cast-friendly polar fleece cape should arrive and weather looks decent, so I plan to start walking.  Ortho said nothing about walking and weight bearing, low impact activity has to be better for my bones (and psyche) than sitting around bored.

~ Sarah Kay

Resident Historian

Here's a good article on losing fitness while unable to run:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/losing-running-fitness/

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's a good article on losing fitness while unable to run:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/losing-running-fitness/

That puts me at:

30-63 days 19% reduction in VO2 max and significant decrease in muscle power

*sigh* I'm thinking I won't be anywhere near recovered until Spring.

~ Sarah Kay

That puts me at:

30-63 days 19% reduction in VO2 max and significant decrease in muscle power

*sigh* I'm thinking I won't be anywhere near recovered until Spring.

I don't know whether you are able to do other kinds of aerobic exercise, but certainly this can help with maintaining aerobic fitness and muscle strength.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know whether you are able to do other kinds of aerobic exercise, but certainly this can help with maintaining aerobic fitness and muscle strength.

I'd be recumbent nowhere biking the hell out of myself if my ortho hadn't put the kibosh on even that until at least after 1/1.  Today I'm hoping to go for a walk, since roads should be dry...yay. Disapprove 

~ Sarah Kay

fellrnr

Thanks to that I am currently in a long arm cast with orders to do NOTHING (not even recumbent "nowhere bike") until at least the new year, when I might get a short arm cast with waterproof liner that would allow sweating and showering.

<---

So I might be totally off of all activity for 5-6 weeks.  Hopefully no longer than that...I might have to punch the ortho with my good arm if that is the case.

My fitness this Fall has already been beaten down by a couple weeks of lower back Hell followed by lower respiratory evil.  I'm also dreading serious loss of hand and arm strength, which could put a serious damper on mountain bike and cyclocross racing plans for '13. Sad I am registered for a HM in early April and maybe another 6 days later...kinda expecting those to be death marches.

On the bright side, it's really easy to lose weight when bonking is of no concern.  I'm already making eyes at my skinny jeans/pants. 

I had back surgery in 2004 and my fitness tanked horribly, but I was in bed for two weeks and I'd had various drugs as you'd expect. However, my fitness did bounce back much quicker than I'd expected.