Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6763 times)

Just thought I would update you on my race as although I didn't get under 90 (as I expected I would not) I did do much better than I could have hoped given my lack of training. During my trial 5 mile run on Thursday I had some calf/shin issues in my non-injured leg (go figure) but my IT band held up OK. I decided I would do a one mile trial the next day wearing heel lifts (which I did) and shin/calf felt a lot better. So, I decided no run on Saturday, do the race on Sunday and hope my knee/IT would hold out. I haven't managed to run 13 miles since I did my IT band in on February 1st.

My plan was to be cautious and start at 7:30 pace and hope that I could tough it out to the end. That WAS the plan but as soon as the gun went off it was forgotten. I had spoken to one of my MV60 rivals before the race and told him I would not be hunting him down today. Lo and behold he soon disappeared from view at the start but I kept a fairly constant pace (below my intended) without it feeling too uncomfortable but nevertheless expecting my lack of mileage to start letting me down at any moment. By mile 10 I started to catch glimpses of him up ahead and (exactly) at the 12 mile marker I caught him. By this time I was blowing pretty hard but I kept the pressure on and despite never really getting away I crossed the line 10 seconds ahead to take the MV60 win in 1:31:27. I have little doubt that my time would have been much slower if I had not had that friendly rivalry to spur me on.

Also goes to show there is more to racing than beating an arbitrary time - BUT I STILL WANT TO BEAT THAT 90!!

Friskney Half Marathon MV60 Winner 2012

I liked that story.  Super-encouraging development in your running, no doubt.  Hope those niggles clear up.  Congrats on your MV60 win.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Thanks NaderAlfie.

Turbolegs - thanks and also well done on achieving your sub-4 marathon this year.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Geez man, you ran pretty darned well for a guy who was just "living on hope". Nice run!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Next go for me - Rotorua Half, 28th April.  Still not quite ready I don't think but may be getting closer. 

Thanks NaderAlfie.

Turbolegs - thanks and also well done on achieving your sub-4 marathon this year.

Thanks for the wishes ... happy running !

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Throw me on the list for the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon (HALF) on May 20th.  My training is going ok. I am not optimistic but on a great day you never know.

Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, succeed!!

Lazy idiot

Had a great tune up race yesterday.  10 miler in 1:08:56.  On a flatter course (which I'll get for my attempt in three weeks), I have little doubt that I would have been able to hold the pace for another 3.1 miles to cut it close.

I feel increasingly good about my chances after yesterday.

Tick tock

Had a great tune up race yesterday.  10 miler in 1:08:56.  On a flatter course (which I'll get for my attempt in three weeks), I have little doubt that I would have been able to hold the pace for another 3.1 miles to cut it close.

I feel increasingly good about my chances after yesterday.

Nice work, Drew. Starting to pour it on at the right time. Keep rollin'...

My instinct is -- and I feel strongly about this -- that the heart rate monitor is really fouling up your training. 

Honest question: If you got rid of it, could you still train?  I think this is a perfect time in your training to kiss that thing goodbye.  Your fitness is good (6:34 x 4 didn't feel crazy) and your HM time (1:44) is way off your fitness level.  Even if you "lost" some short term success as you adjusted to HRM-free training, you would still improve your race times in the long-term, I think.

What do you think, though? 

Training gone well for the past few weeks so spirits on the up again... Gonna focus on getting some steady mileage before tackling a HM again. Also gonna run some 10km races in the next few months and maybe target a HM in the summer

Still wearing the HRM in training but not looking at it while I'm running - running by feel at the moment and just analyse the info at the end. Happy with my last 2 weeks training. 90mins is still my goal but aiming for sub 40 mins 10km in the short term !

2012 Goals:

Sub 90 minute Half Marathon - (1.44 disaster in March)

Sub 19 minute 5km

Sub 40 mins 10km - (42.08 in early May on tough course)

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Finish a marathon - time not important

90mins is still my goal but aiming for sub 40 mins 10km in the short term !

40 mins for 10km is probably harder than 90 for the HM!

If you can do a 40 min 10k you can probably do about 1:28 for the HM.

40 mins for 10km is probably harder than 90 for the HM!

If you can do a 40 min 10k you can probably do about 1:28 for the HM.

I was always more of a shorter distance runner (800m - 1,500m as a young fella...). the HM is a real challenge for me because I just don't have the mileage built up in my legs. There is speed in my legs and therefore I think my fitness levels will get me as far as a 10km but a HM is tough for me. It's a lomnger term aim but first want to get sub 40 mins for the 10km - that will tell me where I am

2012 Goals:

Sub 90 minute Half Marathon - (1.44 disaster in March)

Sub 19 minute 5km

Sub 40 mins 10km - (42.08 in early May on tough course)

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Finish a marathon - time not important

MandyS, Rotorua Half, NZ, 4/28

Good luck tomorrow MANDY!!!

I am (mostly) back from my stress-fractured fibula.

Put me down for a sub-90 attempt on October 7th at the Music City Half-Marathon. 

--

Nashville, TN

jaxn, you got it.

Mandy, how'd it go?

And...good luck this weekend Drew. Rock it.

Well, tried jogging for the first time in 2 weeks since I strained my calf muscle: didn't even make it 100 metres before the pulling started. It's looking more and more like I won't be making it to the start line at the May 6 BMO Vancouver Half Marathon this time around. 

I know I'm in better shape than I was 6 months ago, but if I can take any consolation from having to pass, I think I would've missed my sub-90 goal this time around....my training was feeling 1:40ish. OK, that really does nothing to console me. HATE giving up before starting! HATE giving up after starting. HATE giving up. Period.

SO frustrated!