suggestions about banning (Read 633 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This is very minor, obviously, but apparently when you've been banned (I was curious):

You can still go into a group and read stuff, and you still get Reply and Quote buttons, but if you try to click one of them, they just send you to the group home page.

My minor suggestion is that some sort of message indicating that you've been banned might be appropriate -- esp. when you click on those buttons, as they seem to just not work correctly.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

#artbydmcbride

This User Group is open to lurking so that may be why you can still read stuff.  Probably if it was a group where you had to click 'join group'  and you were banned, you wouldn't be able to lurk at all.

Runners run

eric :)

I finally got time to look into this.  Ileneforward is correct.  If the group is public and you are banned, what you can do in the group should be the same as if you are not logged in.  The display of forum controls is a bug and is fixed.  I also added a ban notice at the top when a banned user is in the group.  Since this is not a critical bug, I will upload the changes at a later date.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In vaguely related news, if you are the owner of a group, and you leave the group, and when prompted for the new owner, you pick someone who has been banned, the system handles it well -- it seems to unban the new owner.

Or if it doesn't unban them, the system gives "ownership" priority over "banned" so that it functions as if they're no longer banned.

I can't tell which is the case, because to remove the previously-banned owner, they have to leave the group, and leaving a group removes the banned property anyway.

xor

Why would you do that?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why would you do that?

To see how it was handled -- if it left the group without a functioning owner, I would have subsequently reported it as a possible bug.

eric :)

The fix is uploaded to the servers.

In vaguely related news, if you are the owner of a group, and you leave the group, and when prompted for the new owner, you pick someone who has been banned, the system handles it well -- it seems to unban the new owner.

Or if it doesn't unban them, the system gives "ownership" priority over "banned" so that it functions as if they're no longer banned.

I can't tell which is the case, because to remove the previously-banned owner, they have to leave the group, and leaving a group removes the banned property anyway.

Or whether you're the owner, admin, user or banned is just an enum Smile