Training question (Read 604 times)

Shiksa

I'm currently training for a 1/2 marathon--my first. I'm using Hal Higdon's novice program IIRC. I started out on week 3 because I already had plenty of miles behind me. I moved on to week 4, but cannot seem to progress out of that. I had an injury setback the first week in. Then, I had trouble working the training into my family life. Well, I've been doing week 4 for 8 weeks!. I am so ready to move on, but because I cannot get a full week in of training, I am worried about moving ahead too quickly. I will admit that the 5 miles is pretty hard for me on my long days, but my route is almost entirely uphill. Even though I've technically never finished the full schedule of week 4, can I move on? Do I risk hurting myself or not getting through this? I don't want to be "runker". I want to run the whole distance. This is probably much ado about nothing, but I need a kick in the @ss, and I'm wondering if moving ahead 1 week is the way to go.

Stacy
    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You skipped the first couple weeks then had an injury? Hmmm. Higdon tells you that you should start at the beginning, let your miles go low, so that your body can recover before starting on a long training program. With that advice of his, it should not surprise you that you have an injury. Balancing training and family is one of the hardest things for most of us training for a marathon or half marathon. The good news is that most of these training programs are fairly flexible (Higdon talks about this as well on his training site). If you feel that you are rested and injury free, and you think that you can handle family balance, then move forward. When is your goal race? (nice username, btw Wink)
      Shiksa

Thanks about the username. Smile My injury was not from running. I fell of a chair while painting and took 2 weeks off. Cool I've been easily running between 12 and 15 miles per week for what feels lke...forever which puts me at about week 3 or 4 of HH's program. My goal is actually not enirely a race. I would like to run the distance by my daughter's first birthday which is Sept 7. The actual half-marathon I might run is in November. I'm not sure if I can be away from my daughter during the time it takes to get to the race (1.5 hrs) and running the race. I'm still working out that little detail. Wink

Stacy
        I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can you make your log public so we can see what you are doing? I'll bet that injury was running related...falling from a chair, should have been out running instead... Wink Congrats on your kiddo!!
            I'll bet that injury was running related...falling from a chair, should have been out running instead... Wink
            I don't have any good advice to give, but I had to pop in and say that that was pretty funny. Regarding balancing family and training, I will say that initially it was tougher for me until both the family and I got used to it becoming part of my new life. Now they ask me why I'm not running on my off days. In your case, I would guess it's even tougher with such a young one at home - but it will probably get easier for you too as time goes on.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Shiksa

I haven't been putting information into my log. Nothing like a person who can't help herself right? Blush I have my garmin, but I have the wrong cable to import it. I will start manually entering into my training log though. Good idea. I'm thrilled to run. My tech side is weak. Basically, my schedule looks something like this: Mon: 3.5 miles Tues: 2 mile or cross (but I always do 2 miles because I'm lazy) Wed: 3.5 miles + strength (sometimes I skip strength! eek) Thurs : strength and stretch (but sometimes I don't do this either) Fri: rest Sat: cross train. I usually hike, walk, tennis, or all three Sun: 5 miles I'm lucky if I get all that in. I do most or all of the running. I stretch anyway--not on a schedule. I'm super active. I backpacked nearly 24 miles in 2 days a few weeks ago. Before the "schedule" I ran 12-15 miles/week , but only as much as 3 miles at a time. So, the longer miles, but fewer days is new to me. I don't know. I just feel so "blah", almost bored. I am finding the 5 miles really challenging though. I'm sure strength would help that! I so need more than 24 hours per day. Thanks for the congrats on my baby. She's a sweet little thing. She has wonderful brothers too and they all keep me busy. My dh works long hours also which is why it is hard to get all the training in.

Stacy

Shiksa

I'll bet that injury was running related...falling from a chair, should have been out running instead... Wink
                Cool If only! It was such a ridiculous injury. Gone are the days where I might hurt myself from rock climbing, parachuting, or some other adrenaline sport. One of my first thoughts down there on the floor was "crap! I just hurt myself painting!" It happened about 2 days after I voiced my committment to a 1/2 marathon. I chose to ignore it as a possible sign from the universe. Smile

Stacy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I know you are on Higdon's plan, and it is a good guide. But two things that you could do to help would be: 1) increase your 2 mile day to the 3.5 (which gives you a little higher base) and increase one of your midweek runs to 5 miles for the rest of the training program. I find that a medium/high midweek run gives me confidence and added strength. As far as balancing family, what I do is either get up way before the crack of dawn to get in my run OR set aside family-agreed-on scheduled time for running. That said, I have ALWAYS thought the 3 mile barrier is a tough tough wall to get through. Even today, here contemplating a 100 mile week, getting through those first 3 miles is hard. I think you may find that when you can regularly push past 3-4 miles, it will get easier. And no more painting, it is much safer to run Wink
                  Shiksa

Good to know about the 3 mile barrier. I'm usually pretty "typical" in my ups and downs, so I probably am having the same problem. So, am I understanding that I move my long run to mid-week or add another long run that will eventually become my med/high run as my Sundays get longer? So, you would suggest, just as an example: Mon: 3.5 Tues: 3.5 (instead of 2) Wed: 5 (instead or 3.5 or in addition to it?) Thurs: Strength and stretch (or am I putting a 3.5 here?) Fri: rest Sat: cross Sun: 5 My previous week long run mileage would become my midweek med/high as I add more mileage to my Sunday run? I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this. It's tough to get it all in. My original plan was to push the younger two kids in the double jogger while I trained. I thought my older two could ride their bikes. Holy Moly did I bite off more than I could chew. I got a really nice double so my equipment wouldn't let me down. Little did I know how hard it would be to push the little cuties around. It was good for me to be humbled though. Blush I'm impressed at the women and men who push a jogger and run too. I think it is amazing.

Stacy

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I have been using a version of a Hal Higdon training program, but I have modified it with McMillan running. Though I cannot understand the stress of family and training. I might be able to help out by throwing my two cents in too. Like Trent said: "1) increase your 2 mile day to the 3.5 (which gives you a little higher base) and increase one of your midweek runs to 5 miles for the rest of the training program. I find that a medium/high midweek run gives me confidence and added strength." I would agree with this. I have been doing a longer run steady pace on Wednesdays than my easy Tuesday, Thursday runs, I still run a long on Sunday. For your cross training take the Jogger out and go 3.5 (your running, pushing, and the family is there) you choose the pace. Don’t kill your-self because you have a long run the next day. Wink Here is the McMillan running link: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm You can use it the figure pace for your runs. For you best time use a time for a shorter race you might have ran, or use your goal time.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Imminent Catastrophe

Little did I know how hard it would be to push the little cuties around. It was good for me to be humbled though. Blush I'm impressed at the women and men who push a jogger and run too. I think it is amazing.
                        You're pushing a jogger when you train? That would make a big difference!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Shiksa

I don't push the jogger now except for light walking/running. It was just too hard. I'm not opposed to it on cross-training days, but for everyday training, I prefer to run alone. One of my older boys can't keep up on the bike yet anyway.

Stacy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cool. I would move your rest to the day after your long run. So now you will be doing something like you suggested: Mon: rest Tues: 3.5 Wed: 5 Thurs: 3.5 Fri: Strength and stretch Sat: cross Sun: 5 And as you approach your goal, it may look something like this: Mon: rest Tues: 4 Wed: 5 Thurs: 4 Fri: Strength and stretch Sat: cross Sun: 10 Also, make sure that for every 1-2 weeks of advance, you have a drop back week to recover a bit. This is usually your long run that drops back.