nerves are here (Read 618 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

My first race ever, 10K on Sun. What with all the festive fun, slipped over the last few days, please advise what would be the best form of training for the last couple f days for me? Speed time distance etc. Much appreciated.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Scout7

At this point, I would say easy running. Consider it tapering. But I would definitely get out and put some miles in, just don't run them hard.
      RunningHammer

Hi Eddy Had a look at your log, and if it were me i'd just rest up mate - maybe do 2 miles easy the day before the race if your legs can't wait that long. For my races i taper a bit more than most do though, almost to the point of hardly running at all the week before a race. Cheers Davey
          Yep, I agree. Short & easy runs. You ran 11 miles less than a week ago, I'd say you're ready. On race day don't get swept up with the jackrabbits at the start & you'll do great. Good luck.

Slow-smooth-fast

thansk for the replies, I guess I am just going to get out tonight and do some very relaxed easy running, just to shake off the turkey and lager. I will post my result when done.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Your first race -- so exciting! You've already gotten good advice re: training before the race, so I'll just remind you to HAVE FUN and enjoy it!
              2009: BQ?
                Yep, go for the taper. Don't get caught up in worrying about whether you have enough miles in. You've done the training, I'm sure, so go for it!! Be sure to post a race report when you return, too! Good luck and have fun!!!
                  You will do swimmingly! We are all rooting for you! Just run YOUR race...YOUR pace... and don't forget to take in the sights as you run! Cheers and tells us how it goes!
                  If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden

You'll ruin your knees!

My first race ever, 10K on Sun. What with all the festive fun, slipped over the last few days, please advise what would be the best form of training for the last couple f days for me? Speed time distance etc. Much appreciated.
                    "looking good!"..."almost there"..."it's all downhill from here"....jlynnbob, already cheering for Eddy! It's been said, easy stuff from here on out... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)