Pavement/impact blues (Read 485 times)

obiebyke

If this topic has already been covered (although I did a quick search and couldn't find it), please feel free to point me in the right direction. I almost always run on a treadmill. I love that it can keep time, pace, etc. for me, but I know a Garmin could do that, too. The problem: impact! I have arthritis in my hips and knees and I've been told not to run on pavement. Occasionally I drive up to a dirt track and run on that, but round and round is boring. And it's an even longer drive to a trail. I'd love to be able to walk out the door and run--it would save time, money, and the environment. Is there any hope? Ways to reduce the effect on my knees and hips? I have good new shoes, but my joints are sensitive enough to need more help than that. I've thought about running on the little grass strips between the curb and sidewalk, but I'd spend the whole time weaving around sign posts and trees. Help!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Timbodeener

Are there any "country roads" near you? City streets are paved all the way to the curb/sidewalk but many country roads and even "back roads" on the outskirts of towns have a "soft shoulder" along them and it's more forgiving on the joints than the pavement. I try to run on the soft shoulder as much as possible but sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and run on the roads. I used to notice the impact of the road more than I do now....I think my body has somewhat gotten used to the pavement over time.
      obiebyke

No, no back roads. I'm a city kid. Maybe, though, there are some forgotten patches in the near suburbs. If only I could use home as my starting point! That's my dream. Anyone have advice on how to work with what I got, here in the city?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I would look for a local running club online. Email the contact listed or look for anything on the site that lists places to run. Someone local could perhaps provide better direction. Could also google your home online and look for parks (usually green) as they likely have trails. I do agree that the more I run on pavement the more my body seems to get used to it. You seem pretty young to be diagnosed with arthritis. Is it Rheumatoid? Have your tried any meds if so?

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)
          obiebyke

Good ideas, Hoosier. Thanks. It's arthritis from Lyme Disease, actually. Everybody, watch for ticks! They're nasty little buggers! Angry

It's hard to find a spot that's big enough and well groomed enough, but running on the grass has worked like magic for me for past 2 years. The one I found is a park that can handle 3 or 4 soccer games at once, and the loop I run is 1.4 miles around. The grass is somewhat thick and well maintained, providing a great cushioned ride. Can get a little boring after you've done it a while, but nothing like the dreadmill, and the benefits more than offset it. I run more than half my mileage there and I run quite a bit.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              kapata911

I have an assortment of things wrong with my back and knees so impact is a big problem for me as well. I've found that when I can't get on gravel or dirt that I can run in the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the road. Occasionally this means dodging mailboxes, but on certain stretches this can work really well. Some areas have a lot of broken glass though, so depending on where you live it might not be very safe for your feet.
                t_runner

Your profile says Bay Area, CA.. so I am taking a guess, but I ran an amazing trail marathon that started in Berkeley. Here's the marathon course description, not sure if it will point to any trails close enough to you. Probably not close enough to just walk out the door and run unfortunately. The point-to-point marathon course starts at the Lone Oak picnic area in Berkeley’s Tilden Park and finishes 26.2 miles to the south at the Cove Picnic area at Lake Chabot. The course is mostly along the legendary East Bay Skyline National Trail, which includes fireroads and single track trails that provides gorgeous views of San Francisco, Mt. Diablo and the golden hills of the East Bay from the ridge tops. Map to area Most amazing scenery! My sister lives in the suburbs out there, and I can't wait to come out and visit her again. If by city kid, you mean SF, there are dirt trails in Golden Gate park I believe??