Evolution led to human distance running (Read 650 times)

Scout7

http://www.physorg.com/news95954919.html Interesting article that discusses how humans are better adapted to distance running than any other animal.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is really interesting. Maybe that's why I do better running longer, slower distances (at least when it comes to distance running, as opposed to sprinting). I am a MAJOR sweat-hog, too. Maybe there's a correlation. My hubby likes to joke that I can run for forever at slow speeds. Maybe an endurance race really is in my future... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Really cool! I'm writing the professor to see if I can get a copy of his speech...

Why is it sideways?

If you liked that article (or even if you didn't) Bernd Heinrich's Why We Run is an incredible exploration into the sources and limits of human endurance. Heinrich held the world record for 100k and also is a fairly renowned evolutionary biologist. An incredible book that will turn you into a lunatic like Lynn.
            The book sounds good... Added it to my Amazon wish list! Smile
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think I'd like to look at that book, too. I'm certain did would also enjoy it. Hopefully our library has it (though I have my doubts...small branch). I was one class shy of a minor in Anthro (my dad has his BS in the subject), so stuff like this is pretty fascinating to me. k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

If you liked that article (or even if you didn't) Bernd Heinrich's Why We Run is an incredible exploration into the sources and limits of human endurance. Heinrich held the world record for 100k and also is a fairly renowned evolutionary biologist. An incredible book that will turn you into a lunatic like Lynn.
                Let's just say I like to keep a lot of meat in my freezer Wink Big grin Careful who you're callin' a lunatic there, Mr. Bunnykiller!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wow... Professor Lieberman already responded:
                  Hi I gave a somewhat similar lecture last winter at the Harvard Science Center, and it was supposed to go online sometime. Not sure when it is available. Here is a pdf of a paper that covers some of the information. All the best, Dan Lieberman
                  I uploaded the PDF which you can access here: Endurance Running and the Evolution of Homo (PDF 376K)

Why is it sideways?

Careful who you're callin' a lunatic there, Mr. Bunnykiller!
                    Takes one to know one. Cool
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I uploaded the PDF which you can access here: Endurance Running and the Evolution of Homo (PDF 376K)
                      Ooh, I scanned a bit of that...I can't wait to sit down and really read that! Looks very readable. k

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

Wow... Professor Lieberman already responded: I uploaded the PDF which you can access here: Endurance Running and the Evolution of Homo (PDF 376K)
                        Aren't professors the greatest????? They are so fast to respond to requests for their knowledge...Anyone want to know about crabs? Thanks for the quick access to the Nature article! Late night reading for tonight
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                        Scout7

Wow... Professor Lieberman already responded:
                          See, now if only philosophers were so quick and ready to respond.... Kidding!!