"Just Right" Stability Insoles...? (Read 985 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's my issue. LOVE the forefoot flexibility of my NB 903s, but need a bit more stability to keep my right knee happy. I recently bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 4s that really work great for the knee, but are too danged stiff (and these are supposed to be the most flexible moderate stability trainer available in a wide) in the forefoot and my arches (particularly on the outer edges) become VERY sore after only a few miles. After my 11 miler on Tues. I could not put weight on my left foot (my more neutral leg) for about 2 hours and was really worried that I'd done some damage. So while my knee was feeling fine after 11 miles (first long run I can say that about in MONTHS)...the feet, not so much. I have a pair of Sof Sole Stability insoles (I think RRS calls these "Stable Runner," or something like that). They definitely help, some--I can go further with my 903s before my right knee begins "talking to me" (without them I can go 5-6 miles before my knee begins complaining...with them I can go 8 or so) but I think I could still use a hair more support. I also have a pair of very stiff "10 Second" brand orthotic insoles that are a bit TOO controlling and stiff...so what I need is somewhere in-between in terms of support. Any thoughts or recommendations? What would be perfect, I realize, is a pair of heavier-weight, mild stability/guidance shoes, like the Saucony Progrid Guides...I had a pair and loved them...until they decided to eat my achilles area after my first longer run in them. I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel, so adjusting my existing shoe seems to be about my only shoe option, since there is such a dearth of shoes that fit my foot.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ZZ, you were one of the very first RA'ers to reply to my very first post. We seem to have different, but similar challenges with shoes. Stability shoes are too stiff, neutrals and not supportive enough. I tried several shoes and what's working right now are ASICS Gel Fortitudes with Superfeet Green arch supports. Seems to have that right mix of biomechanical help and nice, light, comfy ride. I also ran in Landreths with the Superfeets and those were good too but a lot less shoe if you know what I mean. The Fortitudes have a bit more to them; a wider last and they fit more snug around the ankle, heel and instep. I don not have a wide foot but I spread a lot when I land. so I'm wearing a 4E width and they are still nice and snug on the heel. They just feel like a more stable platform. I loved both shoes once I put the Superfeet in them. It really was magic. Not sure if yoiu've tried the Superfeet but they offer an unconditional money-back guarantee so it costs you nothing to try them. Whatever you try, good luck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Superfeets are high on my list of insoles to try (I see so many people raving about them)...but I'm not sure if I'd want to go with green or blue. The greens sound maybe a bit too aggressive and maybe I can wear the blues under my favorite cushioned insoles from what the Superfeet site claims...? My arches are low-med height, so probably so from what I read. Man, finding just the right combo of shoes/insoles/orthotics can really be a saga. I have a feeling that after my big race real orthotics may be in my future.

~ Sarah Kay

The Superfeets are high on my list of insoles to try (I see so many people raving about them)...but I'm not sure if I'd want to go with green or blue. The greens sound maybe a bit too aggressive and maybe I can wear the blues under my favorite cushioned insoles from what the Superfeet site claims...? My arches are low-med height, so probably so from what I read. Man, finding just the right combo of shoes/insoles/orthotics can really be a saga. I have a feeling that after my big race real orthotics may be in my future.
          Yeah, it's a battle. I'm so jealous of people that have never experienced the drama of being a "hard fit". It took me a year to get the right combination. One thing, I wouldn't combine orthotics. I don't find the Greens to be too agressive. Especially used in a pure neutral shoe. If your local running store has both, you can give them both a try. They did feel a little weird at first - like the arch is too far back - but that's exactly what the site says about them. Now, I don't even feel them. Not having pain in my shins is just sooooo awesome.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it's a battle. I'm so jealous of people that have never experienced the drama of being a "hard fit".
            Nearly every day I curse my stupid duck feet. If a shoe is wide enough through the toes it's often slipping off my heels...good heel fit and then my feet are squeezed. Flexible forefoot usually = not enough stability...adequate stability to keep my k nees happy = arches screaming from "fighting" the shoe. I read some more on the Superfeet site and saw that the primary difference between the blue and green insoles is that the greens have more cushion on top of the orthotic base. So I likely would lean towards those, first. Discovered that a nice outdoors store 30 minutes from us carries them, too. Right now we're in BFE Illinois visiting my MIL, so I can't check them out for a few days, but she does have a farm store nearby that carries Sof Sole insoles. I've always had a good fit with their general cushioned products, so I am going to go look at the graphite arch ones (assuming the store carries that model) to see how those work in my shoe. If that works, then maybe I won't need to look at the Superfeet.

~ Sarah Kay

flatland mountaineer

The green sf have a higher arch in addition to more cushioning than the blue. DW uses the berry colored one, kinda a blue with more cushion. I have also put the blues over a flat insole for more cushion in my hiking boot if enough volume. Also you might take a look at the heat moldable Sole footbeds, esp the Dean Kazzaras (spelling?) model.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've heard good things about the Soles, but I have also heard the criticism that the arch is REALLY high in them...not sure if that would bother me, or not. I have a pretty low arch. How wide are the berry Superfeet insoles? I have the impression that they are designed for dressier women's shoes, so I assumed that they might be too narrow in running shoes, especially since I wear wides. I'd still give them a try if the store(s) I check have more than just the basic fitness styled models.

~ Sarah Kay

flatland mountaineer

DW here - Jim had me respond. You definitely do not want the green superfeet because they have a really high arch. I wear the berry ones in my running shoes and I have wide feet. I wear the blue ones in my everyday work shoes. Upon comparison the berry ones are slightly wider with more cushion than the blue ones. Jim says the heat moldable sole have a similar arch to the blue ones. Hope this helps.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, cool--thanks 'Wife'! Big grin Yeah, I have heard that the greens have a pretty substantial arch...and your feet sound a lot like mine. I'm definitely going to try to find the berry ones to try. Did you have any sort of injury issues that the insoles helped? I hear mostly very good things about the Superfeet insoles and have seen so many success stories from people who were sidelined with knee/hip/foot issues who were able to run with the insoles, so I have high hopes. This whole shoe/knee issue really is making marathon training godawful. I've already decided that if I can't get things remedied that I will be taking myself out of training for the race in the next couple of weeks. I can't keep doing these 3+ hour long runs in misery. It's starting to make running a source of stress, rather than a stress reliever. Thanks again for your insights! Smile

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Have you done any off road training. Grass. It saved me. One run a week made a huge difference.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I definitely do better on softer surfaces...ie my knee is much happier on squishy Summer asphalt than on concrete. Though I will admit that softer surfaces that are more unstable than that make me nervous. I felt my very first knee twinges while running on a sandy road that had a bit of looser sand on top of the more packed, damp stuff. We have a good grassy area in a park near us that I may try running on (while trying to ignore all the nasty goose poop down there).

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Update: I have to really thank Jim (r2farm) and Jim's wife. Today I went to the nearest store with Superfeet insoles and tried the berry and green ones. Greens were definitely a little too "aggressive" through the arch, but the berry ones felt nice. I was kind of between sizes...Cs were probably a tad too narrow through the heels (at least in terms of how the Superfeet site instructs for ideal fit), Ds were a bit long, but I went with the Ds since they are trim-able and the arch on the Cs actually felt too low and like my natural arches were just sort of suspended in mid-air. The arches on the Ds still seem to fall where they should...back a bit from where one would expect. Ran 4 miles tonite...maybe it's just beginner's luck, but that was seriously the first run in MONTHS that didn't hurt during OR after. I forgot that running can feel good. I really hope that tomorrow's long run feels just as comfortable. I think maybe this is the perfect solution for me...more lateral/medial stability through the rear of the shoe, but still maintain the flexibility through the toes. It's the perfect recipe that flexible lightweight stability shoes and stiffer moderate stability shoes both lack. Thanks again, everyone! Smile

~ Sarah Kay