Problems with my Garmin (Read 731 times)

DeadMopoz

I was running on TM today using footpod, and suddenly my 305 records 2 laps with 30 sec one and 25 sec another one. My auto lap was set to 2.4K, so this freaking error brought up my milage and my avg. speed was waaay over any world record Smile Anyway - is garmin or footpod? Anybody had something like that?
    DeadMopoz

Well, today, according to my Garmin, I manage to get 10K in 15 sec on threadmill. And this is just doing tempo run. Just imagine what I can do on sprints. This is got to be some kind of a record Smile
        If you're on a treadmill, why bother with the Garmin at all? Doesn't the TM have a speed, distance, and time on the display already? Also, this is speculation since I don't have a copy of the Garmin code for calculation of speed/distance with the footpod, but when you run on a treadmill you aren't actually moving forward. Therefore there is no net forward acceleration. The footpod is meant to be worn when indoors on a track, not on a TM. My 2 pennies.
          Besides the "no net forward acceleration" here are my other speculative reasons: 1) could be a memory error such as a stuck bit or noise on the memory bus 2) could be RF interference between the Garmin and footpod, possibly even created by the treadmill 3) your Garmin could be set wrong, thinking you are outside. 4) could be a software bug 5) it could be Eric trying to mess with you!
          DeadMopoz

"This shoe-mounted accessory will provide accurate pace and distance to the Forerunner 305 when GPS reception is unavailable, such as when you're training on treadmills or indoor tracks. Speed and distance information is calculated in the Foot Pod and transferred to the Forerunner, where information from the Foot Pod is automatically displayed and stored." According to this: 1. It suppose to work fine on threadmill. (And iIt did work fine for a while.) 2. Most likely the problem is with footpod, not the unit. As per your question, I like to use it even on TM for record keeping.
              Just because Garmin's marketing literature says it can be used on a treadmill does not mean a staff physicist or other expert in human dynamics at Garmin endorses the footpod's accuracy or use on the treadmill. But that's besides the point and is my opinion, and doesnt solve your problem. If it mostly worked at one point and isn't working now, my first suspect would be the footpod's battery is dying. 2nd suspect is RF interference, are others in your gym using a Garmin footpod? 3rd suspect- the footpod has been damaged slightly. Good luck! You could try posting your question or searching through the forums at www.garminf.com
              invisible

Besides, treadmills already have an odometer. Smile
                90 percent of the game is not giving up.